HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
lucky4x

Talking Herceptin side-effects...Take control!

Hi Ladies,
Haven't been here in a while...summer was a nice distraction.
I am 4th stage( Mets to lungs), 4 time survivor in 6 years. Bilaterals and reconstruction. Her2 pos...estr. neg. Grade 3.

Aug 2005 started Navelbine and Her2 and continued on Her2 ( Herceptin) indefinately. No real side effects except for fingers, and nails...dry, brittle, skin cracking etc. I had other side effects before I took myself off the steroids ( who needs it?)... I sure don't!

The steroids are given hand- in- hand with most Herceptin/ chemo treatments for nausea. Well I was not nauseated with Herceptin, so I asked them not to give it to me.

Bye -Bye to the other side-effects... no more bloating, weight-gain, mood swings, hot flashes, joint pain...etc etc..... it was all from the steroids!!

So now I only have the dry, sore fingertips, and dry hair, my fingernails rip and tear easily, and sometimes cramping in my calves. They suggest if I am ever nauseated ( which I am not), to use Gravol...so one time on a long car ride ( directly after treatment) I used NON-DROWSY ( GINGERROOT) Gravol. It worked.

If those are now my only side-effects...I can live with that.

Those of you on straight Herceptin might want to ask your chemo nurses or onc. about giving up the steroids... just try it.