HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Debra

I am 41-diagnosed at 40. Was 19% ER+ and 20% PR+. I had a total hysterectomy in December and I am still on tamoxifin. I too am confused if I should be. Both my oncologists recommend to stay on tamoxifin for a total of one year for sure if not two, then switch to an AI. I feel like I should switch having had the hyst. but am quite confused as well.

I am also concerned about bone loss etc. Tamoxifin actually helps your bones whereas AI's decrease bone density from what I am told. I do believe age plays a big factor. I don't have any estrogen anymore anyways so I am already taking that risk so I think I should be on an AI. I would guess tamoxifin is what your docs are leaning towards due to your age. The difficult part is all the studies don't take everything into consideration that we do!

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Jackie

Cool

I am 48 and on Tamoxifen. I was pre-menopause before chemo. I feel like I and post menopause now. Haven't had hormone tests to confirm, but no periods for 21 months. I asked my onc about switching to AI and he said he wanted me to stay on Tamoxifen for 2 years then switch to AI. I'm sure bone loss is a concern since I am osteopenia in my hips already (was a year ago after completing chemo) and AIs don't protect that like Tamoxifen.
1 node+, 1.6cm
46 yrs. old at time of dx.
Completed Chemo 11-05
Completed 1 yr. Herceptin 8-06
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote