HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Jade

Effexor XR Alert - for Kriss and all of us

Hi Kriss-
I urge you and anyone else taking or considering taking Effexor XR for hot flashes and/or depression to Google "Effexor withdrawal" and research this drug.
This is a dangerous drug. I was put on it after chemo for the hot flashes. Yes, it did reduce them slightly but I still suffer terribly. Last December I was rushed to hospital in a very bad way; I didn't know what was wrong with me. At the hospital they couldn't figure it out either. Since I've learned about Effexor, I've learned that it was this drug that put me there. I won't go into the details of that, but let me share this. For me and a lot of others, according to my research on the internet, the drug lasts about 23 hours; after that I begin to have "electric shocks" or as I call them "short circuits" in my brain. My mood also can get very black very suddenly. This is my reminder to take the Effexor. If you miss a day, you will pay. When I ended up in hospital, I had missed 3 days. This drug has also caused me to gain 20 lbs. literally almost overnight (others have reported as much as 50 lbs weight gain - how healthy is that???) I was on Prozac for 5 years because of PMDD (pre menstrual dystrophic disorder which defined is PMS off the scale) and if I missed a few days it was no problem, so of course I didn't realize Effexor would be any different. I am now weaning myself off this drug, cutting down by 1/8 every 5 days (I'm on 150 mg) and so far so good.
Did you know that one of the "rare" side effects is that some people have to be on this drug for life, they can never stop once they've started!!? Please, please, anyone on this drug, Google "Effexor withdrawal" and learn what your doctor has gotten you into, get the real facts from the people who have experienced it. Knowledge is power.
You are an incredibly amazing group of women and men, so courageous, brave and very intelligent. I am regularly humbled and enlightened by you. I wish the very best for all of you.
Love,
Jade
Aug.05 - began Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Aug.06 - ended treatment
NED
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote