HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
koolbreeze

I am not sure that I had a choice but I am very glad to have it. Accessing the port is much less painstaking and less painful than putting an IV in my vein. They just clean the port area and insert a small needle into the port. It just stings slightly when the push the point in for a second or two. Not bad at all.

As a matter of fact, I get aggravated when I have procedures and the doctors or technicians won't use my port but want to use a vein. Some anthesiologists will use it and others won't. Some CT scan techs will use it and others won't. I am always asking, why can't you use my port?

If I had to do it over again, I would have a port put in without question. It makes the entire process easier and keeps your veins good for future use.

As for the scar. well I have a scar from under my left arm all the way over to under my right arm from my double mastectomy so the additional port scar is nothing. It would not even show unless I wore a totally strapless top so I am not sure what your husbands concern is with the scarring, it is only cosmetic appearance. Also, most scars fade with age and there are good products available to help speed the scar healing and minimize it. So what if we have a few battle scars, we are survivors!!!!!! My advice, if you want it is, Do the PORT it is really no big deal and the benefits are worth it! Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote