HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
StephN

Thumbs up Get fish oil from the source

Living in the glorious great Northwest, we are blessed to have an abundance of healthy fresh fish. Much comes from Alaskan waters.

With a diabetic husband, fresh fish is a menu staple. We spend the extra money on the lovely fish and thoroughly enjoy our dinner meals. Had some fresh Ling Cod last night after the baseball game.

Now that the "cat is out" about the farmed salmon not having the right levels of the omega 3, as these fish do not develop the muscle tissue from swimming upstream, we have avoided this type. Also, the doubts I have about the feeding and living conditions of farmed fish, including shrimp from Asia, keep me away from these.

Since we eat fish more than once a week, I have not taken the fish oil separately. Not sure if I should anyway, but do get plenty of high quality olive oil, some grape seed and seasame oil in cooking.

Thanks a lot RB!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
R.B.

FARMED FISH

They do have omega three just not in the same proportions, and a trial raised questions as to levels of certain chemicals etc. But if you cant get wild fish or too expensive probably better than no fish.

VEGETABLE SEED OILS AND NUT OILS(with very limited exception)

***************THEY ARE HIGH IN OMEGA SIX*****************

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

in 218 grams of oil GRAPESEED

Total omega-3 fats (est) 218 mg
Total omega-6 fats (est) 151,700 mg

IN 218 grams SESAME

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c208F.html

Total omega-3 fats (est) 654 mg
Total omega-6 fats (est) 90040 mg

IN 216 grams OLIVE ( this will be a virgin oil in cheap olis as much as 50% is omega six)

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c208D.html

Total omega-3 fats (est) 1644 mg
Total omega-6 fats (est) 21090 mg

THIS IS THE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE

NOT A LOT OF MOST VEGETABLE AND SEED OILS IS A LOT OF OMEGA SIX.- and it is everywhere in process foods, olives in oil (sunflower etc)

You need to check on fish to as you may be surprised how the amounts of omega three differ.

MY GUESS is that you would need fish oil to balance your omega threes.

MY SUGGESTION if omega three six is now on your radar is spend a week actually checking how much omega six and three you are getting - no need to be too fussy but in broad terms, and then consider the dietary iimplications.

Sorry to shout but I have been down this path of diet discovery too - a year a ago being pleased with my self for consuming lots of high polyunsaturated veg oils, cutting down, and then realising with a shock when I checked how far out my three six balance was.

Two Brazil nuts balance a teaspoon of fish oil in very approximate terms.

Essentially in balancing the threes and sixes vegetable oils are very high on the NO list - with the exception of flax (no good for cooking) and olive virgin (and virgin olive still has about 10% omega six).

I hope this helps.

RB

Last edited by R.B.; 10-24-2008 at 02:50 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
R.B.

Whilst going back through Smart Fats ( latest version called Brain Building Nutrition) I noted the following comment in relation to fatty acids and brain tumour tissue.

I have not managed to find the original research.

" Indeed, intravenously administered fatty acids were more rapidly incorporated into the implanted tumour cells than the normal brain tissue." This was in respect of intralcerebrally implanted brain tissue.

The book suggests that brain tumours have higher omega six and lower omega three than healthy brain tissue.

The book asks the question could balancing the fats and oils prevent or treat brain tumours.

Very much on the edge and an area that is unresearched, but maybe a subject to discuss with advisers for those with brain tumours whose options are otherwise limited.

Trials referred in book to as to the composition of normal and tumorous brain tissue are copied below. I have been unable to find two.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...+human+gliomas

1: Lipids. 1996 Dec;31(12):1283-8. Related Articles, Links

The fatty acid composition of human gliomas differs from that found in nonmalignant brain tissue.

Martin DD, Robbins ME, Spector AA, Wen BC, Hussey DH.

Department of Radiology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City 52242, USA.

To compare the fatty acid composition of tumor tissue from glioma patients with that of normal brain tissue, tissue samples were obtained from 13 glioma patients and from 3 nonmalignant patients. Following lipid extraction, total fatty acid composition was measured using gas-liquid chromatography. samples were further separated into phospholipids and neutral lipids. Representative samples were then separated into phospholipid classes by thin-layer chromatography and the fatty acid composition assayed. Levels of the polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), were significantly reduced (P = 0.029) in the glioma samples compared with normal brain samples; mean values were 4.8 +/- 2.9% and 9.2 +/- 1.0%, respectively. This reduction in glioma DHA content was also observed in terms of phospholipids (4.6 +/- 2.1% vs. 9.6 +/- 0.8%, P = 0.002). The phosphatidylserine and phosphatidylethanolamine phospholipid classes were reduced in the glioma samples. Differences were also noted in the n-6 PUFA content between glioma and normal brain samples. The glioma content of the n-6 PUFA linoleic acid was significantly greater (P < 0.05) than that observed in the control samples in terms of total lipids. Thus, the fatty acid composition of human gliomas differs from that found in nonmalignant brain tissue.

PMID: 8972462 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Acta Physiol Hung. 1992;79(4):381-7. Related Articles, Links

Phospholipids and fatty acids in human brain tumors.

Ledwozyw A, Lutnicki K.

Department of Pathophysiology, Veterinary Faculty of Agricultural Academy, Lublin, Poland.

Phospholipid and fatty acid composition of human brain tumors is presented. The white matter contains a greater amount of phosphatidylinositol and a very low level of lysophosphoglycerides, as compared to the grey matter. Glioma and meningioma tumors contain a greater amount of phosphatidylinositol, sphingomyelin, and lysophosphoglycerides, as compared to normal cortex tissue. A significant rise in oleic, linoleic and arachidonic acid content in tumor tissue was observed. It is suggested, that changes in lipid composition, may play a role in structural and functional membrane perturbations in neoplastic cells.

PMID: 1343190 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited by R.B.; 10-24-2008 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Mary Anne in TX

Who Knows???

My husband has made vast improvements in his "heart health" after a heart attack 10 years ago. I have watched him exercise, eat "amazing things", and take a handful of supplements.

Now, I am working hard to eat right, exercise everyday, and take some vitamins and fish oil.

But I must confess that I don't have a clue whether it will help with my cancer. I just know when I eat those veggies and fruit and drink my tons of water, I feel better to fight the next fight!

I'm so glad that I have access to so many who are learning so much and are willing to share. Thanks a million!
ma
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down kat in the delta

Help me Robbie,
So is olive oil good or NOT good for you..Can you tell me some common foods and oils that ARE GOOD for you...Then, tell me those that are NOT as good for you
I would appreciate your help.........this has been alot for me to absorb as I just started from the top of this thread...thanks,
KAT
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
R.B.

Well done for making the effort to try and understand this huge subject.

It is as usual complicated, but I will try and deal with the basics.

Olive oil is a complex mix of a lot of fats and chemicals.

This link gives an idea as to the mix of fats it contains. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c208D.html
18:1 is likely to be mainly oleic, 18:2 linoleic (omega six) 18:3 linolenic (omega three). So in olive oil you are getting a mix of fats, and mainly mono saturates (1 double bond eg 18:1 - 18 the number of carbons - 1 the number of double bonds.)

Mono saturates are better to cook with as they oxidise less, but add what you need for taste etc at end,

But if you use a lot it is important to rember 10% - 15% of a virgin oil and up to 50% of a processed oil is omega six.

There are also other chemicals in olive oil that are reported to have a benificial effect.

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ight=olive+oil

So in general terms,
- moderation - less is probably more in general terms
- be very aware to add in the omega six it contains in working out approx your three six intake.
- use only quality virgin oils
- remember the body can make omega nines but it is complex and your body may appreciate a helping hand with provision of a little

Every body is different and will metabolise fats differently. If it is a choice becuase you do not tolerate fat or some other reason I would put fish oil first, and include a little olive oil now and then.

This thread may help too

And this one.

In general diet terms on diet - there are lots of books many of which cover more or less the same ground. Here are some thoughts but best check out some book at the library if you get time.

- as wide a variety as possible (a green food supplement is a way of getting some things you would not usually include in your diet Green Frog as a make is quite good)
- Green things and lots of them, frozen if fresh is not available spinach, broccoli etc. highly coloured fruit and veg, some dried seaweed.
- Some nuts mixed as much as will fit on your palm.
- Some pulses if your digestion will tolerate them
- Whole grain but in strict moderation and better pre germinated as reportedly easier to digest.
- a little occasional grass fed meat, farm raised chicken, offal etc if you are not vegitarian - corn fed animals have higher level of omega six
- fish including oily - small quick growing are less likely to be polluted sardines, mackerel - but again variety - all fish is good but wild is better.
- a variety of herbs and spices, ginger, curcumin, .....
- cut out vegetable oils except a little flaxseed (do not cook), maybe canola, perillia etc but you must watch the six content and strictly in moderation
- some fish oil to bring your intake of DHA up to about 2 grams a day.

Avoid "processed food" as in manifiactures prepreapred etc as far as is practicable - just because they usually contain vegetable oils etc. or at least read the label first, and regretabl they end up sadly going back on the shelf most times.

Sugar, sugar subsitutes, high salt levels, are very definate avoids.

So between sugars and vegetable oils most processed food is out.

Rhonda's "Cancer Diet" posted on this site is thought provoking.

Some suggest dairy and some say no. For those that tolerate it maybe a tiny bit of butter, maybe yogourt, maybe goats cheese, but small quantities.

You will find your taste changes and previous treats like crisps etc strangely end up tasting less desireable.

Getting ones digestion sorted out is key, which may mean no sugar, avoiding grains which can be difficult to digest for some, (Breaking the Vicious Cycle Elaine Gotterschall - is an interesting book on digestion - but may not be ideal receipies in respect of balancing omega threes and sixes, (high omega six in almonds) and I would have concern about too much honey....) for a bit etc.

Etc.

Do talk to your doctor about significant dietary change.

I hope the above helps. I am afraid beyond the basics you will have to find what suits you.

RB