HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Barbara H.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 951
Red face

Steph,
I know how you feel. I have been with my oncologist for 8 years and now he is going to the satellite hospital of Dana Farber. I can still see him, but only on Wednesdays, and that is the day he wants me to receive my treatment. I feel that the relationships that we build with our onclologists are so important considering the seriousness of our disease. I hope that you will find someone you feel comfortable with but it could take some time. You might be fortunate, because I connected to my neurosurgeon immediately.
Good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Berta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 64
Steph: i know how hard adjusting to a new onc can be. Mine left during my chemo and I have had rent-a-docs ever since. I've had so many I don't remember them all. I live in rural Southern Indiana. However, i have found that its the nurses that really stay on top of stuff and provide for the continuity of care, at least what there is and the docs are all obligated to follow protocols as set by the onc group in Indianapolis. I have had excellent treatment, I think and began herceptin in July of 05 so they have stayed up to date but it is hard to change docs when you feel so dependent upon them to help you fight this thing. Berta
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
mamacze
Senior Member
 
mamacze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Madison, Connecticut
Posts: 639
Oh Stephanie,
You shine through your most recent set backs and now this. You must feel so frustrated that the one person you literally trust your life with is moving away.
You have a good head on your shoulders and you network well so I have no doubt that you already have some alternatives in mind. If push comes to shove, however, you may consider giving Nora Disis a call and get some thoughts from her. Good luck angel girl.
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
chrisy
Senior Member
 
chrisy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 3,207
Oh Steph - that is a bummer! You have been through SO much, and have been lucky enough to work with an entire team of wonderful doctors who know you, and who you trust - (literally) with your life. I lost my "wonderful" oncologist suddenly and unexpectedly - he died of a heart attack at age 42. I felt like an orphan. Tap into some recommendations from the rest of your "team" - and I like you taking the opportunity to discuss this with your onc who is leaving. This relationship is so much more than a simple doctor/patient one! Best of luck to you in finding another wonderful doctor - as I know you will!
Chris
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
RobinP
Senior Member
 
RobinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
I am loosing my oncologist too soon and Iam on the hunt for a good new one in upstate NY.
__________________
Robin
2002- dx her2 positive DCIS/bc TX Mast, herceptin chemo
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
StephN
Senior Member
 
StephN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Misty woods of WA State
Posts: 4,128
Epidemic??

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and encouragement. Sorry some others are also seeking new docs - it IS the PITS.
I do have a little more info to go on now, as I have been nosing around a bit into the inner workings and other changes to come. Such as the Nurse Case Manager, Scheduler and other support staff to my med onc who is leaving. He has such a great team and I also know them all since the beginning.
The infusion suite nurses are great and they have also fed me a little info.

So, I am still sorting through the possibilities here. There is no question of changing treatment centers, though I could, as we have a couple of other good ones locally.

Will keep you posted.
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." H.D. Thoreau
Live in the moment.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Demack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 4
Smile

Hi Steph,

I know how you feel. My Med Onconogist retired this month. He is wonderful and got me through the main part of my treatment. I am still on Herceptin every week, but he transferred me to a great someone he knew and trusted.
I really miss him. He was like having my own personal MD. He also adjusted my treatment plan just for me.
Good luck finding a new doctor. Trust the nurses and othe staff. They know a lot about the doctors and treatments,
Debbie
Demack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter