HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Sandy H
Senior Member
 
Sandy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norridgewock, Maine
Posts: 778
Gosh, Esther you are the forth one who I have met, in person, from this board with brain mets!! I am sorry to hear this. Thanks for keeping us posted on the new info. I know Steph did last year. I am following this closely in case I ever need to use it. I wish you well and soon you will be NED and will be enjoying the summer on your motorcycle. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
Barbara H.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 951
Thumbs down For IVW

Here is my story. I had a craniotomy for a 3 cm met in my pre-frontal cortex in May, 2004. Dr. Black at the Brighham was away at the time so I decided to have Dr. Wu at the BI remove it. I followed up with sterotactic surgery to mop up what may have been left. At that time the radiologists recommended WBR to give me a better chance of targeting any mets that could develop in the future. I decided not to do it because of the possible long term side effects, and I wanted to continue teaching third grade. Later when I had my follow up at the brain tumor clinic at the BI I learned that they were no longer recommending it for everyone, especially younger people. I am not that young. When I discussed it with my oncologist, Dr. Parker, at the Dana Farber, he also said that Dana Farber no longer supports it for everyone. This past November I had another scare. My routine MRI showed probable recurrent disease to the same spot. This time Dr. Peter Black from the Brigham did the surgery. It turned out to be radiation necrosis. I think each case is different. That's why the physicians in the brain tumor clinic review each case. I think the new standard is that WBR used to be always given and now it is no longer routinely given or recommended.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
StephN
Senior Member
 
StephN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Misty woods of WA State
Posts: 4,128
Wink Hi Barabara

Thanks for the story and the confirmation about holding out WBR for later if there are only very few mets that can otherwise be dealt with.

On the icons, you are using the "thumbs down" when I think you mean the "question mark." Question mark is in the blue circle below the winking smile in a blue circle.

I was also glad to hear that you only had radiation necrosis and not new tumor growth. I may face the same question.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Esther
Senior Member
 
Esther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 484
Thanks all, I posted this thread so that people would know that there are now differing viewpoints on this issue. It is important to be fully informed before deciding on your course of treatment.

I see Dr. Black at Cedars Sinai today, and will make my final treatment decision after meeting with him.

I feel good about making all the research, this will be my 3rd opinion, and feel like I will be prepared to decide what is best for me.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter