HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
CLTann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 476
Vision and determination

We are fortunate to have people like you in our group. In order to make our effort useful for each of our diverse members, we need to recognize that there are myriads of issues that come to the discussion group. Our objectives should be to give fellow breast cancer patients comfort, information, recent medical reports, how to deal with doctors, insurance, hospital, etc., actual experience from survivors and to show them where to go.

We visited many other breast cancer support sites but this one is much more informative and caring. Although we jointed this group only a few month, we already know that a few hard working people really made the difference. Any organization can only be successful if there are dedicated people who are willing to take time to give advice and hold hands with so many of us who received the shocking news and knew no where to turn.

Therefore, I propose that some thoughts should be given to a rough idea how we can organize us into a functional group that can give person-to-person help where help is needed. Perhaps we need to organize to have several sub-groups with different disciplines. Offhand, I can see that we need a group to deal with people coming here with a diagnosis and a treatment plan. We do not advocate us as a medical facility, but with our vast resource we certainly can be in a position to show how some of us with similar situations had already dealt with the problem before. Most breast patients are much more comfortable in knowing how other fellow patients had gone through on a personal basis.

I can see that we need a group to deal with medical professionals insurance people and employers. Many of us are quite successful in dealing with these people but there are also, for a variety of reasons, many who got no where with them. I suppose an organized group could use our banded power to help out.

Then there is a need for dietary and non-traditional supplements advisory. So many postings are here that would take hours to digest and some of them are confusing and contradictory.

Of course, the information on new medication and reports on new procedures and new trial data are always eagerly waited by our members. More importantly, the interpretation of data to a common layman's language is much more useful. Most patients listen to the short and terse advice from their doctors with no intelligent questions to ask. We should get them prepared on a list of questions so that they can bring with them to the doctors. They would feel more comfortable in making a suitable choice of the options. The possible entry to the available trials should always be posted regularly for our members.

Being an aggressive type of breast cancer, HER2 positive cancer patients are always wary of recurrence. An advisory group with experience in detecting, treating and combating metastasis is badly needed by this group. How frequent should we make self-examination, take various medical tests of various organs and look for suspicious pain, itch or other symptoms?

There are many more areas that can be critically important to us. Let all of us pour in here with ideas and needs. I know we can be a meaningful force in the fight against our common enemy.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
RobinP
Senior Member
 
RobinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
Lightbulb

Cynthia, I admire your background and your willingness to try to change the stagnant status quo system of lack of access to more non-FDA approved breast cancer medical therapies. The only system in place at this point in time for such inaccessible experimental drugs is via of pharmaceutical company compassionate use programs. I guess I would recommend using systems that would be in place already such as compassionate use programs and work at making them more efficient, ig. speeding up the ability to obtain compasssionate use meds.I also wonder if "fast track medical approval" by the FDA could be sped up even faster to make some of these medications available to those who are literally dying to have them.

If you are looking for support, this group is a good place to start. However, for such a committed organization that you need to form, I imagine face to face interactions would be much more effective. Good luck with your endevours.

PS. I hope, especially as an attorney, you litigated for your misdiagnosis of a breast cancer. Sorry to hear about that!
__________________
Robin
2002- dx her2 positive DCIS/bc TX Mast, herceptin chemo

Last edited by RobinP; 01-11-2006 at 07:32 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
michele u
Senior Member
 
michele u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Henderson, NE
Posts: 413
Cynthia,

I am a RN and would love to help you with this mission. I too agree with everything you said. WE as survivors should be able to choose for ourselves what trials we would like to participate in. There has been so many stories of people that have had their lives saved from clinical trials. But what about the people that see the EXCLUSION list and their heart's sink! We as survivors need to fight for what we want!!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Cynthia
Senior Member
 
Cynthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 95
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my earlier post, both here and via email. I read every response with great interest and, when the time is right, fully intend to call on those who (perhaps foolishly) offered their services.

I am currently immersed in the due diligence process to see what is out there and where I believe we can best expend our efforts. I will keep you posted on my progress. In the meantime, I encourage an ongoing discussion about what we can do to help each other and where we should focus our energies to maximize the return on our investments.

Thank you all again.

Cynthia
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter