HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Ron, Cyndi's Husband
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Michelle,

I do not know much about the drug, there is very little information on the net. Most of the info. deals with the chemistry or synthesis of the Halichondrin and not the mechanics of how or why it works. I only know it is antitublin and that interferes with the growth of the tumor cells. I include below, a bit of research material I found on the net. Unfortunately I am not educated enough to know exactly what it all means. I have determined that although Halichondrin was discovered in the early 90’s the synthesis was not complete until much later.

http://dtpws4.ncifcrf.gov/DOCS/compare/nov...nds/newtub.html

“Discovery of Novel Anti-Tubulin Agents…. In this initial work, we noted two potently cytotoxic marine natural products that appeared repeatedly. These were the complex macrolide polyethers halichondrin B and homohalichondrin B (75, 76). These natural products were specifically examined for interactions with tubulin and for antimitotic activity, and such properties were confirmed (6). This work demonstrated that the halichondrin B noncompetitively inhibited the binding of vinblastine to tubulin, and thus these agents may bind at a unique site on the protein.”

Hopefully, someone can help make sense of all this. I will try to keep everyone posted as to Cyndi’s progress if and when she begins treatment.

God Bless,
ron
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter