HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2004, 03:19 AM   #2
Ron, Cyndi\'s Husband

Angela,
Cyndi was dx. May 1999. Extremely early even before mammography indicated anything positive. Had lumpectomy only, w/clear margins and no lymph involvement. HER2 so 4 A/C and 30 radiations. She kept all Radiation Oncologist and Medical Oncologist appointments as well as all other procedures requested by the Docs.

Everything was "Just Fine" until a routine chest X-ray prior to an unrelated surgury last July. Then an astute radiologist found some unexplained spots on the film and requested a scan. The rest is history, Lung Mets with dozens of nodules.

I fear that Cyndi's story is too common. She went from barely stage I to Stage IV with no signs of disease progression. I cannot help but blame myself for not being more aggressive in my search for knowledge concerning HER2. The Docs told us that HER2 was more aggressive, but they were convinced and convinced us that the cancer was in her past and that probability of recurrence was low. The facts were available, I just failed to research enough to find that the probability of recurrence is high without intervention. If I had known then what we have found in the past few months, we could have been searching for trials for preventative medications. We had not even heard of Herceptin or the vaccines or any of the other preventative trials going on at that time.

I know the Onc. gets tired of my questions about treatments, trials, and such but oh-well... Like one of the ladies on this board said "He doesn't have cancer, I do." The Docs are observers / ordinance suppliers you ladies (and a few men)are the combatants!

Sorry, I have been rattling-on here but what I really want to say is: Do your research and this board / website is a super-great place to begin. Do not take a simple "No, you do not qualify" or "You don't need that" from your doc. as an answer. You may qualify for some trial or new treatment that he / she may not be aware of. Know what to look for and be willing to question / challenge your treatment options it is YOU and YOUR BODY that you are talking about!

Be A Proactive Survivor,
ron