HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
thinkpositive
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 411
Re: Ever want to give in/up?

Colleen,

I'm not in your situation so I'm not sure how I would feel if I were in your shoes. However, I just lost my husband a few weeks ago. He died unexpectedly at age 60. We were together for over 40 years. I can tell you that I would do anything and pay any amount of money to have him back. My guess is that your family would feel the same way about you!

Having a chronic disease must be draining. These diseases have both a physical and mental aspect to them. I believe at times, we focus only on the physical and ignore the mental. My guess is that what you are feeling is perfectly normal and that seeking out help from a professional would be helpful. I have found that they can help and offer different coping skills that can be effective.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care,
Brenda
__________________
8/2013 Diagnosed IDC Left Breast ER-/PR-/HER2+ Stage 3C, DCIS ER+/PR+/HER2- Right Breast (54 yr)
8/2013 PET/CT scan shows mass in uterues and suprclavicular nodes
8/20/13 Begin 6 rounds TCH chemo, Perjeta added for rounds 4-6
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:01 AM   #2
TiffanyS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 459
Re: Ever want to give in/up?

Hello Colleen,

I understand where you are coming from, as I’ve been thinking the same thing myself lately. I was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer in January, at the age of 41, and had a full mastectomy in February along with 14 lymph nodes removed (eight has cancer in them). I started Docetaxel, Carboplatin, and Herceptin in March, and radiation at the end of July. I also started taking the drug tamoxifen in mid-July. Everything was going well until a week before I was supposed to finish radiation. At that time, we noticed that the scab over my scar tissue had come off, and the doctor decided to biopsy the area. It turns out that there were still cancer cells there. I went back to see my surgeon, who told me the growth was left-over from my first surgery, and that he could remove it and all would be fine. In the meantime, my oncologist sent me for tests in order to “re-stage” me. The ultra-sound and bone scan were clear, and the breast MRI showed three small masses at my surgery site, but nothing in the lymph nodes. We were all happy with these results, and I was getting ready to have surgery until we got the results of my CT scan. It turns out that there are new spots on my lungs and a lymph node in my centre chest that is quite large. Given these new results, I will no longer be having surgery, and will be starting TDM1 next Tuesday, which I will be taking every three weeks for an indefinite period of time. My oncologist is also going to try and get me into some clinical trials. She told me that I am a rarity, and that she’s never known anyone who has gone though the treatment I’ve gone through, and still have cancer. She says that my breast cancer is the most aggressive cancer she’s ever seen, and she is looking into new, aggressive treatments for me. This does not leave me feeling very optimistic! I have been holding up as best I can, however, I have felt nauseous since I got the news, and I don’t have much of an appetite. Up until now, I have been fairly confident that I would beat this cancer, but that is no longer the case. Right now, my biggest fear is that my oncologist is going to tell me that I have six months to a year to live, even with the new medication, and that’s not what I want to hear at the age of 41! So, while I’m trying very hard to stay positive, I’m really having a hard time doing so, and I keep wondering if it’s worth putting my family and friends through so much stress just to extend my life by a year or two. In fact, I just got off the phone with my seven year old niece who told me that she’s sorry that I’m going to die, and that she will keep me in her heart forever, and she didn’t want to get off the phone with me. I think she’s scared it might be the last time she gets to talk to me. I tried to stay positive for her, but it breaks my heart to hear her say that. My aunt died of ovarian cancer six years ago after a six year battle, and I remember the stress my family was under at that time. Everyone’s life was on hold, as she would be good one day, and sick the next. No one knew what to expect. I really don’t want to put my family though that again. I also can’t help but wonder how anyone can get through their days, trying to live life to the fullest, knowing that there may not be many days left. So, like you, I am left wondering “what’s the point”. I’m sure my family would feel differently than I do, but that’s how I am feeling right now.
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter