HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
R.B.

Re: Iodine deficiency ! - falling intakes - goitregens - competition bromine and fluo

Hi 'Lizabeth

Hi I have got and read one of his books - it was a while ago - it is a fascinating and extremely thought provoking book !!! - and looking on my bookshelf it is not there which reminds me I think I lent it to someone; which I must stop doing because they sometimes do not come back )-: and then are not there when I need them.

On a personal basis I agree with you - flour supplementation would be good (what used to be done), of course providing the option of iodine free flour for the few who may be harmed by iodine; those with damaged thyroids I understand - flour is probably better than bread - as you say a great way to include the pizza generation (-: LOL - the health rewards would seem to far outweigh the risks.

Perchlorate is also found in some fertilisers.

I am not sure that bromide has no uses in the body; there is much more bromine than iodine at least some marine foods (it is a while since I looked at bromine) - it is unlike nature not to have uses for things that are relatively common - we just do not yet know what that role is: and is bromide a competitor rather than a blocker because it is likely to be smaller than iodine so a less ideal fit all of which comes back to having adequate iodine . . . and according to a researcher the importer is very very old and fairly unsophisticated and just works on size on that basis I surmise it is not the smaller halogens (chlorine and fluorine) that are directly a problem but when they are attached to other things eg perchlorate is chlorine attached to 4 oxygen (as pointed out in the abstract). . . which is why I was wondering if chlorine in other forms more common forms is a blocker (see above) . . . and viz chloride in salt and if so how . . . it is all so complex . . . I had seen lots of suggestions chlorine in the generality was a problem but not a paper or medical report so was hesitant to accept it as fact; as sometime things that are perceived and regularly reported to be fact are not as in lots of polyunsaturated Omega 6 rich oil being very good for you !

Many thanks for the abstract and your interest. (-:

PS selenium is fundamental to iodine and antioxidant function and appears to help protect against damage during iodine processing by the body

Last edited by R.B.; 10-20-2013 at 02:36 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote