HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
rhondalea
Senior Member
 
rhondalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Somerset, NJ
Posts: 487
Re: I couldn't make this up if I tried

Sensitivity can develop after the first exposure to a substance and grow worse over time.

This is why the L'Oreal box warns us to do a patch test every single time we cover our roots. It's also why I was able to take Bactrim intermittently until I was in my early 30s, and then--KABOOM!!--I woke up in the middle of the night bright red all over my body and thinking I would likely die of itching. I also have an acquired allergy to tea tree oil that occurred about 2 years after first use.

As for doctors, I must confess to a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude. That may not be the best approach, but I've had some very dismissive doctors in my lifetime. As a result, I was untreated for severe Hashimoto's for years. I was also erroneously diagnosed with MS. (I only avoided treatment for MS because I was so sure I didn't have it, I walked out on the doctor who diagnosed me. The next doctor in line looked at me like I was a loon when I asked for a thyroid panel, but he never apologized for treating me like a nutjob when the results came back.)

I have learned the hard way that we need to trust our instincts about our doctor's care for us, and when we start getting that bad feeling in the pit of our stomach, it's time to move on.

My bias is that my brain hurts, and I'm pretty pissed at the medical profession right now, so except for the factual item in the first paragraph, you might want to take me with a grain of salt.
__________________

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter