HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
KristinSchwick
Senior Member
 
KristinSchwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 231
Re: Questions on how you feel on Lapatinib and Xeloda

Krissi,
I was on the combo for 5 months and by the 3rd month I had the drugs down to an art, and had very little discomfort. And no, you won't feel like crap for the 2 weeks your on the Xeloda. Chances are the only issues you will have is sore feet and diahrrea- both are very manageable. Couple of tricks I learned- I did end up decreasing my tykerb dose from 5 pills to 4, and getting by with 1 diahrrea episode/day. I found taking the tykerb at night was helpful because then I would have my "episode" in the AM before I left for the day. Also, I found that cutting out lactose products really helped reduce the diahrrea. So I avoid alot of cheese, and enjoy lactose free milk and lactose free yogert.

As for the hand and foot syndrome, I took 2 pills in the AM and then 3 at night, thinking that the higher dose at night helped prevent the drugs from leaking out and damaging my feet. I did have to decrease my dose of Xeloda. The hand and foot syndrome is caused by the drugs leaking out of capillaries under high pressure/friction (hands and feet), then the chemo does its job, and kills cells- only they are the healthy ones in your feet/hands. When my feet got really bad (usually only lasted 1-2 days out of the 14), it was after being on my feet all day for a couple days. Icing my feet really helped as did tylenol and ibuprofen.

I really didn't mind being on the drugs, I liked the flexibility and not getting poked with needles. On another note, I did end up loosing about 7 lbs on the drugs (probably from the diahrrea), which was a nice surprise.

Be patient and talk to your doctor about the symptoms and side effects- as they can prescribe anti-diahretics to help and can decrease the doses of the drugs. My doc assured me that the lower dose would still be effective, and I shouldn't worry. Good luck!
__________________
[B]Kristin
Aug 2010: diagnosed stage 3b, 4 mo. after birth of son. 29 yrs old and breastfeeding, ER/PR-, Her-2+ started Neoadjuvant therapy: 4x FEC, 10x abraxane & Herceptin
Feb 2011: L mx with recon. Path. showed only DCIS but 4/10+ nodes.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter