HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
CoolBreeze
Senior Member
 
CoolBreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 562
Re: Has anyone gone on disability?

This is something I'm struggling with. I've been off since October 3rd and my job protection is going to run out. I don't want to give my job up but I work in a school and the environment probably isn't safe for a Stage IV woman. I love my job though and it's true, it's much better to have something to do than sit at home and dwell.

I suppose if I'm not healthy enough to go back by February the decision will be made for me. I will get $800 a month in disability which is not going to help much. I have my life insurance through my work, and it will run out two years after I am done working, so I'd like to time it so I die within two years of stopping work. But, I'm not sure how to figure that yet!
__________________
http://butdoctorihatepink.com

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
KsGal
Senior Member
 
KsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 585
Re: Has anyone gone on disability?

I know how hard a decision it is. I guess that going on disability and staying home is kind of an admission of illness of some sort..not that we don't know we are ill. Its just like...Im too ill to work and be normal. Difficult decision to make. And of course, being poverty level does not sounds like much fun to me. lol! Im going to do my best to keep working through the Taxotere/carboplatin. It is only six treatments/18 weeks, and who knows, maybe with the herceptin I will get a good year or two without major treatment. I also know it could go the other way..and I could need more chemo right away, in which case i may decide to take the disability and make the best of it.
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter