HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Mary L
Senior Member
 
Mary L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 297
Re: DianneS: choices after mastectomy

I found a very lightweight silicone prosthesis that you don't even feel like you are wearing it. The one thing that bothers me is my remaining right breast seems to keep changing size, due to my age, and I have to get a new prosthesis. My insurance pays for a new one every year. It works for me. Mary L
__________________
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Catherine
Senior Member
 
Catherine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 715
Re: DianneS: choices after mastectomy

Regarding the prosthesis. I guess I have just gotten used to wearing them like a piece of clothing. Yes, I am happy to take my bra off in the evening. But most of the time, I forget that I am wearing them. When I am really tired, it all feels a little tight. This alternative works for me. Thanks to Debbie for starting a new thread on this issue.

Catherine
__________________
Catherine


Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Chelee
Senior Member
 
Chelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern, CA
Posts: 2,511
Re: DianneS: choices after mastectomy

Reconstruction was never brought up to me when I was dx? It wasn't till about two months after finishing my 6th cycle of TCH that I realized I was never given the option of recon. I probably would of went with immediate recon at that time so that I could of got it all done at the same time. By the time I found out someone should of mentioned it to me it was too late. I had enough surgeries and couldn't stand the thought of one more. So I let it go.

I didn't care for the first prothesis I had...they felt awful and kept creeping up till they were under my chin... that looked really nice. lol Or one high and the other one low. Totally lopsided. Ha! I was constantly pulling them down all day. (Very annoying.) Then I found the weighted prothesis and those have been great for me. Love them. Since their weighted they stay put...never move up...and I don't even notice them once my bra is in place. The weighted ones for me are very comfortable. My insurance company will pay for a new pair each yr and 3 new bra's...so that's not too bad.

Chelee
__________________
DX: 12-20-05 - Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu, 3+++,Er & Pr weakly positive, 5 of 16 pos nodes.
Rt. MRM on 1-3-06 -- No Rads due to compromised lungs.
Chemo started 2-7-06 -- TCH - - Finished 6-12-06
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter