HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Becky
Senior Member
 
Becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton, NJ
Posts: 4,179
Re: Should I consider taking Zometa?

Zometa has been shown to reduce mets not only in the bones but in soft tissue as well.

You might also consider the Tamoxifen while still receiving the Herceptin infusions as there is syngergy (even for the few cancer cells that are ER+). You could then decide with your onc whether to consider continuing Tamoxifen after Herceptin is completed.

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials...ronic-acid0608

Above is the study but if you google zometa and breast cancer there are more.

I get it every 6 months. The first infusion caused me flu like symptoms - even a fever of 101 and bone aches. However, even though you get the next one 6 months later, this did not happen to me. I just was alittle tired but thats it. I actually am getting my 7th or 8th infusion on November 30, right after my onc appointment. Even though I am 5+ yrs out, I still see him every 6 months because I get the infusions every 6 months.

I hope this helps.
__________________
Kind regards

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 10-16-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: forgot link
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Linda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 143
Re: Should I consider taking Zometa?

Marcia:
My doc did not want to give me Zometa, stating that the study had been too small and the risk for kidney damage, etc, didn't make it worth it. Just her opinion -- since many docs are on board with Zometa. Also, I take Boniva already (for osteopenia) and she says that will do the same thing. I'm not sure I agree, but just wanted to pass that on.
By the way, there's a large discussion of this on the Stage 3 thread on Breastcancer.org, where many women weigh in. It may be a bit old by now, but check and read there.
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter