HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
Question Re: Opinions of Cholestrol levels

Hi Harrie,

I had to puzzle over this same question. My diet has been focused on balancing omega-3's and omega-6's types of fats, and my cholesterol results are quite similar to yours.

My PCP is especially educated about cardiac matters, but was persistent in recommending that I take medication to help lower the 2 cholesterol readings that are still high, in spite of the "good" cholesterol (HDL) being excellent and the "bad" cholesterol (LDL) being excellent.

Some of this is new territory for not just us, but for the docs as well. As a way of deciding whether or not the high triglycerides and high total cholesterol were enough for me to take medication in spite of the low LDL and high HDL, I agreed to have the cardiac CRP test done, which measures cardiac risk.

My cardiac CRP didn't come back as high risk, or even as being moderate risk, but as LOW risk.

My best guess at what is happening is that because we are eating a much better balance of foods (and in particular, fats) than the population than docs are using in establishing their "normal" cholesterol readings, that those norms are less applicable to us. I am just guessing but I think our choice of fats is resulting in the higher total cholesterol and triglycerides, but may still be protective for us.

It is also possible that the therapy we have had has changed the way that fats are processed, but unfortunately not much study is done on people before and after treatment to be able to know whether that might be true or not.

There are other risk factors that would be essential to consider as well. If you have diabetes, hypertension, or possibly other health problems such as being very overweight, those also DO count.

I don't have diabetes, hypertension, or other medical problems. I declined to take the medication, and my PCP agreed with me.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter