HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
More good reasons to load up on omega 3

HELLO R.B... I take my Omega 3 EPA (2400) & DHA (1200) daily. Without fail. I watch my Omega 6 intake and try to supplement my supplements w/the right foods (rich in Omega 3). I totally get how out of proportion most diets are and the great benefits of doing all of the above.

In glancing through your book OMEGA SIX THE DEVIL'S FAT I read about many more good reasons to follow this course w/Omega 3's. Obviously on this site we are most concerned with the anti-cancer qualities in Omega 3.

But many of us suffer from muscle pain, arthritis and such. I do believe Omega 3 has anti-inflammatory characteristics that contribute to helping in this area as well as a host of others.

I would love if you would provide us with some info/studies on these, especially the common joint and muscle pain we experience (as side effects of our tx and as we age).

Thanks or keeping us AWARE, R.B.!!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Ellie F

Hi all
Good to see some research from the UK on this important issue.
I have followed this thread with great interest.When I was diagnosed I, like most of us searched for an answer to the 'why me'question.The two things I came up with was a diet loaded with omega 6 processed foods, little omega 3 and a huge amount of stress in the two years before diagnosis.
I wonder if there is any evidence that the chemicals released under stress reduce the amount of omega 3 in the body??
Any views or research?
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
chrisy

Smile ANDI you crack me up!!

[try to supplement my supplements w/the right foods]

Andi, I've always thought you were supposed to eat the right foods and supplement with supplements! Now I find out I've been doing it wrong all the time!!!

Unfortunately, the food tastes better than the supplements so that's gonna be hard to change!

Thanks for the smile
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Humor and t cells

Okay then Chrisy, Glad to make you smile! I laughed myself as I typed supplement my supplements. Laughter and humor are most essential to good health!

But, seriously, ever since Taxotere my stomach has never been the same. There are soooo many foods I simply cannot eat or I suffer the consequences (doubled over w/cramping and tummy somersaults, not to mention hrs of bathroom drama).

So just about every fruit, beans, corn, nuts, squash, slaw and on and on -- are DO NOT INGEST/Verboden to me. I am thrilled to be able to add the benefits of these vividly colored foods to my body through supplements. I truly am an excellent candidate for supplements. The good old fashioned way just doesn't work for me. My gullet doesn't love all the swallowing of pills, but my belly sure does.

I am a fresh caught salmon addict (this works). But I love my vitamins, however I can get them. I would much rather have a peach or a plum or a pear. Not so sure about pomegranate. But they are all included in my supplements, w/an array of berries, blah, blah.

ELLIE -- I have read of several studies that show that stress depletes us of T cells, which are immune system boosters. This leaves us unable to fight off a host of ailments and dysfunctions. It all begins with stress I think.

And since we cannot avoid stress (though some amazingly seem to thrive on it) I find deep breathing, meditation and guided imagery to be great tools to allow me to feel joyful and One With The Universe, even midst all my unwanted realities, which clearly suck...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Ellie F

Hi Andi
I was interested about the T cell issue especially as a lot of research is currently focusing on modifying patients own T cells then reintroducing them to fight bc.
It also seems reasonable to assume that as we age our immune system may not be as robust as before,so extra stress may tip it over the edge.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
R.B.

Thanks Andi and Ellie for your support it is appreciated.

Andi said "But many of us suffer from muscle pain, arthritis and such."

(They know oestrogen allows people to make more DHA and testosterone reduces the ability to make DHA from looking at the effect of hormones on transsexuals.)

BASIC FACT. Omega 3 and Omega 6 must ultimately be got from food. The body can make all other fats from carbohydrates including Omega 9.

Long chain Omega 3 EPA and DHA are needed to balance the Omega 6s, as is very evident if you have read the previous posts. This is fundamental to the way the body functions and not just BC.

These are some mix and match excerpts from the revised version of my book which I am working on at the moment. I will post the refs separately.

"Women have a very special need for Omega 3 DHA, and can make much more of it from the plant based Omega 3 ALA than men.

Higher DHA in women gives them a different brain structure. DHA is a big factor in the control of their hormone levels, makes their skin and hair softer, affects their metabolism, improves their sensory perception, and makes women think and behave differently.

This all happens because oestrogen allows women to convert 10-20 times more of the plant fat Omega 3 ALA to DHA than men. Oestrogen increases production of DHA. Women make 10 - 20 times as much DHA as men. DHA defines women behaviourally, structurally, and hormonally. Women have a very fundamental relationship with the Omega 3s, and particularly EPA and DHA.

A consequence of oestrogen blockers or ovarian removal, will likely be that the increased levels of conversion of Omega 3 ALA to DHA, due to higher oestrogen in women, will not occur. IF conversion is already poor, this may further increase DHA deficiency in women on oestrogen blocking strategies. Also there is evidence that low DHA /Omega 3s and high Omega 6 increases the risk breast cancer and other cancers, so a low level of DHA may increase the risk of breast cancer recurrence"

This is why it is so important for those who have had BC and been on oestrogen blockers to supplement with long chain Omega 3s. Women need more long chain Omega 3 to make their bodies work. More DHA is part of being female. If you can no longer make so much you must get it in your diet.

On arthritis

"Omega 6 AA reduces the pain threshold, and so increase the sensitivity to pain. PGE2 is a direct product of Omega 6 AA. In knee operations the postoperative level of PGE2 in fluid from knees related directly to the amount of pain experienced; the higher the PGE2 the higher the pain.

If the Omega 6 intake is reduced below the 4% of calories threshold, and or balanced with Omega 3s PGE2 production and so pain will be reduced.
Omega 3 DHA and EPA reduce pain by blocking the inflammatory effects of the PGE2 pathway by competing for the COX2 enzyme used to make PGE2.
DHA is a more effective COX2 blocker than a number of NSAIDS. (Drugs used to block the inflammatory pathways.) DHA and EPA do not come with a long list of potential side effects. Inflammatory cytokines such as TNF alpha, and IL1, are also downgraded by fish oil. As discussed elsewhere the products of the Omega 3s DHA and EPA are also anti-inflammtory.

NSAIDS alleviate pain and symptoms but do not stop progression.In contrast to DHA NSAIDS increase TNF-alpha synthesis. TNF- alpha and IL1 are reported as being involved in cartilage degradation. Omega 3 DHA reduces cartilage degradation. DHA and EPA also reduce bone loss. Fish oil may alleviate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.

A paper by Philip Calder in 2009 looking at trials on rheumatoid arthritis, with doses of long chain Omega 3s between 1.6 and 7.1, with an average of 3.5 grams a day, said “Almost all these trials have shown some benefit of fish oil… Such benefits include reduced duration of morning stiffness, reduced number of tender or swollen joints, reduced joint pain, reduced time to fatigue, increased grip strength and decreased use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs”"

Last edited by R.B.; 06-29-2009 at 03:18 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
R.B.

Ellie said

"I wonder if there is any evidence that the chemicals released under stress reduce the amount of omega 3 in the body??"

In essence Omega 6 increases stress and aggression and Omega 3 reduces it. There are a significant number of trials on animals, students, prison inmates that support this.

How?

There are a number of mechanisms. They include that Omega 6 ultimately controls the hormones and steroids including testosterone. Omega 6 also reduces serotonin and dopamine the happy hormones. Omega 6 increase noradrenaline the stress hormone.

Stress and Omega 6 are connected with higher levels of oxidation. Oxidation ultimately damages cells and DNA which may be a factor increasing the risk cancer is triggered.

IF you have not done so please check out the videos on the first post.

Please also make sure you get adequate minerals and fat soluble vitamins.

In Australia in 2005 a large proportion of the population were mild to moderate iodine deficient.

In the USA the number who are vitamin D deficient is rising.

Minerals are essential to the production of the internal antioxidants. Vitamin D is a more powerful antioxidant than vitamin E.

There is the beginning of a recognition thanks to some far sighted individuals that iodine may an important antioxidant as well as its roles in the thyroid.

Please discuss diet with you medical advisor.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote