HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Linda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 143
Vit D

My onc has been testing Vit D levels for some time. She believes that women who've had bc should be on the high end of normal, and most of us are low. I took supplements for a while and ended up having to take 7000 units a day to get my levels where she wanted them (last level was 66.) We continue to test because she believes that too high a level can be damaging. I think the top level would be in the 80's or so (I'm sure someone else will know.)
I'm happy to keep taking the supplements. They're (d3) easy to take, cheap and I have no adverse effects. I actually think I'm not getting colds and flus when everybody around me is sick.
Linda
(dx 05, stage 3a)
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
StephN
Senior Member
 
StephN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Misty woods of WA State
Posts: 4,128
Wink

Got my result today from last weeks blood test for Vit. D level. This is AFTER the 8 week megadose of 1 50,000iu cap per week.

Number is up to 50 - wow, the BIG 5-0.

Up from 30 pre-megadose.

So now Shadowpilot has me wondering if I need to really do more than the 4,000 iu/day I was planning???
(Since we share the same climate and can't always drop whatever we are doing and run outside when the sun does decide to shine!)

I was figuring on trying to hold around the level of 50.

Will see my med onc in a couple of weeks so will decide with her, since my general doc is only recommending the standard 1,500 iu supplement per day.
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." H.D. Thoreau
Live in the moment.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter