HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Susan
Senior Member
 
Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 73
Hi: I'm a dental hygienist, and I know at our office, when someone is on any bisphosphorates (which now days, effects a large number of patients), the only issue we have is for extractions. We always refer any patients on those drugs to an oral surgeon, and they will do a blood/urine test to see if they would be a candiate for an extraction. We actually only have one surgeon in the our area that will be willing to do surgery w/ the test, so just hope we don't need any teeth pulled! But as a far the bisphosphorates affecting having your teeth cleaned, routine fillings/crowns, that is not problem. But make sure you let your dentist know that you are on any zometa- like drugs. The drug Forteo is a different type of drug than the zometa.
__________________
Sue

IDC, Stage 1, Grade 3
Oncotype Dx Score 40
Her2+++ E+P+
Lumpectomy 5/05
Re-excision 6/05
4AC
33 rounds of radiation
1 year Herceptin (had to quit after 8 months, due to low muga scores)
Faslodex until 11-07
Hysterectomy with ovaries 11-07
Arimidex 12-07 switched to Aromasin 10-09
Quit Aromasin 11-09 due to joint pain

Last edited by Susan; 01-23-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: miss spelling
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
RobinP
Senior Member
 
RobinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
HI Vic,

Just wanted to throw this out there for you. I heard a webcast by the famous Dr. Larry Norton at Mem. Sloan Kettering Ca. Ctr. and he said that he does not advocate biphosphonates for early stage bc and that a new and better drug will soon be on the market to prevent bone mets and build bone mass. Copied my post about that and the link below to Larry Norton's talk:
http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=4&gl=us
PS. I agree that the oral biphosphonates are a lot safer than the infusions. You could always get a second doc opinion on this.

FYI Here is the link to the new bone drug
http://www.communityoncology.net/jou...es/0506291.pdf

http://www.oncolink.com/resources/ar...th=01&id=15938
__________________
Robin
2002- dx her2 positive DCIS/bc TX Mast, herceptin chemo

Last edited by RobinP; 01-23-2009 at 07:15 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Vic
Senior Member
 
Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 161
Thanks Kim, Susan and Robin

This is just what I was looking for, and I really appreciate your input on Zometa and dental health.

Thanks, Kim, for giving me the correct name of the other drug (Forteo) and its differences. Susan, knowing you're a dental hygienist, is very reassuing and your experience in the field will really help me make my decision about Zometa.

Robin, I had no idea another drug was in the works. These links you provided will help me do my research and I'll check them out. I just hope, if they prove to be safer than Zometa, that they will be offered soon. I'm thinking I would like to start the Zometa infusions this spring. (Becky, I know you've been on Zometa and will you stop your infusions after three years? Or, do you continue indefinitely due to your osteopenia?)

Your quick feedback means so much to me and really shows why this website is such a wonderful, caring and helpful place to be.

See you online,

Vicki
__________________
Diagnosed 12/03 at age 53
1.5cm tumor, ER-PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
Stage 1B, Three negative nodes from Sentinel Node Biopsy
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter