HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
WomanofSteel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 889
I am one of those people that Lee speaks of. Although because of my age and my daughter, I opted for the recommended chemo my onc suggested because of the agressiveness of my cancer, I did not get Herceptin. I wonder everyday if this would have made a difference for me with my reoccurence. My personal feeling is that you should be agressive as possible with what treatment is offered you early on. The side effects are certainly worth the increase in percentages or years if you look at it that way.
__________________
dx aug 03
invasive dcis 1 cm
er/pr/her2+
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Louise O'Brien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 75
Dianne:

I see you're from Canada - so the treatment is relatively standard from province to province.

I was exactly where you are now - two years ago. Your discussion with the oncologist sounds exactly like the discussion I had with mine two years ago.

Under our health care system - Herceptin is combined with chemo. It was the chemo that horrified me. Like you - I considered walking away from the whole thing.

I can only tell you now - two years later - I am so thankful I did not. I chose full treatment and I know now I will never have to second guess myself wondering ... did I do enough... what if.... what if?? I feel I did everything I could, in my power to try to stop this thing.

Her2 is an aggressive little devil and no one knows how it is going to react. And Herceptin has had dramatic results.

If I had a friend who was Her2 positive I would do everything in my power to convince her to take Herceptin. The more research you do - the more you will find this out.

As for chemo - it's doable. Everyone says that but it's true. You have decisions to make and this is a stressful time but I'll step out on a limb here to urge you - don't walk away from Herceptin.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Patb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville KY Naples FL
Posts: 665
Images: 2
When I made my decision to do chemo, and herceptin,
I just wanted to say I did everything I could so no
regrets later. I have not had any. A/C was easy for
me, for some it is not. Herceptin was a breeze, I realize
I was lucky so for today I am happy with my decision.
patb
__________________
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
caya
Senior Member
 
caya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thornhill, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,320
Hello Diane,

I thought I would chime in here as I see you are from B.C., and I am from Toronto, so I am thinking you may be getting treated with FEC (a 3 chemo combo), then possibly Taxotere. This FEC-T combo is very commonly used here in Canada, as well as other commonwealth countries.
About a month after I finished my chemo, I started Herceptin, which I had every 3 weeks for a year.
I was also stage 1, you can see my stats. My onc. basically told me I was getting Herceptin, there really was no choice. Her 2+ is a tricky nasty devil, and you want to fight it from the onset with everything out there.
I got a port-a-cath inserted in my upper chest to do all my chemo and Herceptin, I strongly recommend you doing this.
As others have said, chemo is very "doable." Taxotere was worse for me, but I just kept thinking that the cancer cells felt worse than I did. The taxane chemos are proven to be very effective in fighting Her2+ BC. Herceptin is very easy compared to chemo. My main side effect was fatigue, some edema in my feet, legs. We are very lucky to have Herceptin - it really is the magic potion, especially for us early stagers.

And BTW, I had been having annual mammos since age 40, along with ultrasounds. Showing nothing. I had a breast reduction in October 2006, my PS found my 1.7 cm. tumour. A breast MRI before surgery found the second 1.0 cm. tumour. Dense breasted women are 4 - 6 x more likely to develop BC.

Good luck, we'll help you all we can.

all the best
caya
__________________
ER90%+/PR 50%+/HER 2+
1.7 cm and 1.0 cm.
Stage 1, grade 2, Node Negative (16 nodes tested)
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 10-01-2008 at 06:04 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter