HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #22
Gabrielle
Senior Member
 
Gabrielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 49
Me Too

Hi, this is Gabrielle.

I'm in my 9th year and I remember how I clung to survivor stories when I was first diagnosed.

My story: Dx at age 44, Stage 3a, 9 infected nodes out of 21, Her2/Neu, infiltating ductal, 5.2 cm stuck to the chest wall, left breast.

Treatment: 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxin; 4 rounds of taxotere, 25 hits of radiation, 52 weekly herceptins. Mastectomy; prophylactic mastectomy on the healthy breast 9 mos after diagnosis; prophylactic hysterectomy about 1.5 years after dx.

I have no idea why I survived and friends didn't. This disease is humbling and mysterious and I don't have all the answers. I did, as noted, treat it very aggressively. My kids were 12 and 9 at the time and I was driven by a primal maternal need to survive.

I took 5 months off for chemo but after that, continued to work (I'm a CPA). This year, I started studies for my doctorate.

I hope I don't offend those who have done everything I did and more, but didn't have the luck I've had. It's occurred to me that my posts might make others who have recurred, sad, in that that their stories haven't had the happy ending mine has had. To me, the true warriors are our sisters who have passed; I have had a healthy dose of survivors' guilt from time to time.

But for those who are newly diagnosed, I hope you are energized and hopeful as a result of my personal story. In early 2000, I was told by my doctor that without chemo, I would be dead in 2 years. I took every med offered and here I am , 9 years later, hopeful and making continual plans for the future. My children are turning 21 and 18 this summer. My prayers were answered, to see them raised. It's all gravy from here on out.

Hugs and prayers for all of you,
-Gabrielle
Gabrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter