HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
dberg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 52
I had a very benign looking thing removed on my leg earlier this year, by my choice, and it ended up being melanoma. My dermatologist was not impressed, but I followed the "ABCD" and insisted it be removed. Thank goodness it was just in situ. I had Mohs surgery, which left a big honking scar on my leg, but after reconstruction, it's nothing!
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Gerri
Senior Member
 
Gerri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 900
Hi Les,

In 1993 I was diagnosed with melanoma on my arm - Clark's level III and Breslow thickness 1.7 mm. I had additional surgery with a 2 cm clearance from the original biopsy excision just to make sure the margins were clear. My surgeon did not feel it was necessary to do a biopsy of my nodes. I am happy to report that I have had no further problems. I have however had all three types of skin cancers removed through the years so I try to keep an eye out for any changes in my skin or numerous moles.

A good friend of mine (also a bc survivor) had a melanoma removed from her face several years prior to her bc dx. She had a plastic surgeon do the surgery (it was quite extensive) and he did a wonderful job. You would never know she had surgery done on her face. She has not had any additional problems related to the melanoma. I have always wondered if there was a connection between bc and melanoma. I tested negative for BRCA 1 & 2.

Good luck with all of this. I know it is pretty scary but I hope I have helped in some small way.

All my best,
__________________
Gerri
Dx: 11/23/05, Lumpectomy 12/12/05
Tumor 2.2 cm, Stage II, Grade 3, Sentinel Node biopsy negative
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
**********
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Les
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 42
Thank you all I will keep you posted I am so grateful for this website. I found the report tonight from 2005 when I had this same spot biopsied and it came back as nothing I wish that it had been removed then and I wouldn't be here today.The Dr that removed the lesion is a plastic surgeon and very well respected I just don't know anything about the ENT he wants to have help him and how often they do this type of surgery . so many questions Leslie
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
weezie1053
Senior Member
 
weezie1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bedford, Virginia
Posts: 134
Gerri,

Last year, I had the BRACA gene tests, and my tests were negative. The Genetic Counselor, however, diagnosed me as "high risk" for recurrence due to my family history of both melanoma (maternal grandmother) and brother's prostate cancer. My grandmother had both BC and Melanoma; however, they say she died as a result of the Melanoma which was actually diagnosed first. This was, of course many years ago (1972). I lost both my grandmother and my mother at the young age of 19. Thank goodness I was blessed with older sisters who took me under their wings. As a result, I have an annual checkup with the dermatologist at UVA.

Louise
__________________
  • Diagnosis 06/06 - Stage II-A BC; BC was 2.5 cm, grade 2; ER/PR negative & HER-2/neu positive;
  • Mastectomy w/ reconstruction (implant) in 09/06;lymph nodes - negative;
  • AC/Cytoxin combo - 4 treatments (dose dense);
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter