HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Hopeful
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,380
Krista,

I developed ringing in the ears (tinnitus) about a month after I had started Femara and following my third every-three-week Herceptin infusion. It is hard to say, for me, which is the culprit, but I have always believed it to be the Femara because the ears have ER receptors and there were anecdotal cases of people taking birth control pills who temporarily lost their hearing or had other hearing problems that stopped when the pills stopped. I actually got the drug manufacturer of Femara to write up my symptom as part of their after market study for the drug. I went on Arimidex for a while, and the intensity lessened, but I could not tolerate the arthalgia, so I went back on Femara. I completed my year of Herceptin last July.

At the moment, it seems to get better and worse from day to day or time of day to time of day, with no rhyme or reason I can discern. It is not so bad as when it first appeared; I don't know if my overall hearing is getting worse or the symptom is improving. I have been using Estrace in small amounts for VA since last July, so maybe that is having some effect.

Anyway, there has been nothing I have found that makes it improve - it just goes as it goes. Someone from the board sent me a link last week to a study of Cialis for tinnitus in men. I am not sure anyone knows what truly causes it - it is something that apparently happens in the brain and not in the ears. It can be caused by hypertension, so, if you have not had your blood pressure checked, you can do that. Otherwise, I am as interested in treatments as you are. I find it is loudest when there is absolute silence in the room. Have you tried sleeping with one of those "white noise" machines? I tend to set the timer on the tv, and doze off to that.

Best of luck to us both,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Terri B
Senior Member
 
Terri B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Posts: 354
I haven't been diagnosed with anything like that, but I know that I cannot sleep without the "drone" of my box fan. It has been like that for years and years. I cannot sleep in a quiet room as it sounds like a choir of voices singing to me. UGH!!!

You should get a fan and let it hum you to sleep.
__________________
Terri B.
46 yrs. young
Dx IDC 3/6/08
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
StephN
Senior Member
 
StephN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Misty woods of WA State
Posts: 4,128
Wink

Make an appointment with a good AUDIOLOGIST. Even my daughter had a problem with this and they did an adjustment (something to do with crystals in the inner ear) and she no longer has this.

Good luck. I have the "tones" myself at times. Especially when my head is plugged up due to allergies. I will wake up in the middle of the night thinking that someone is mowing their lawn a couple of yards away!
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." H.D. Thoreau
Live in the moment.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter