HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
Question Treatment w/testosterone

Vic,

Thanks! I will be taking the info you posted with me to my appointment when I request the Rx for testosterone.

I posted an article in the articles forum about treatment using testosterone for men with low testosterone levels that received it not for sexual impotence but to treat their depression. I don't see any reason to believe the same would not apply to women with low testosterone levels. At the risk of being repetitive, I will say this again; loss of libido is not just loss of sexual appetite, but the loss of energy and enthusiasm in general.

The problems I've seen posted here include:

1. Loss of sexual appetite

2. Vaginal dryness and vaginitis

3. Depression

I'm hoping to find out whether using it in the genital area occasionally rather than by steady-state patch works for me. I do think the use of it while in the clinical trial improved my mood, but since it was not to be applied to the genital area in that trial I think they may have missed the rest of the boat so to speak.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Vic
Senior Member
 
Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 161
Smile Keep me posted on your visit

Hi Alaska Angel,

Please let me know what your doctor thinks of this article and I'll do the same as I'm seeing my gyn. next month (a new one) and will ask her, too. I agree that so much more goes into it, the physical and the energy, desire, mood-elevating perspective, as well.

This is totally off topic, but have you tried the Hitachi Magic Wand. It's fantastic and you can google it and find some very accurate opinions about it.

Be well,

Vicki
__________________
Diagnosed 12/03 at age 53
1.5cm tumor, ER-PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
Stage 1B, Three negative nodes from Sentinel Node Biopsy
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Vic
Senior Member
 
Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 161
Another note to Alaska Angel

Hi AA,

How did you get on the testosterone study and was it through NCI?

Also, are you still on testosterone and are you on any other types of hormones (estring, estrace, estrogen cream, etc.)?

Thanks,

Vicki
__________________
Diagnosed 12/03 at age 53
1.5cm tumor, ER-PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
Stage 1B, Three negative nodes from Sentinel Node Biopsy
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
Hi Vic,

It was an NCI study. I kept checking the clinicaltrials.gov website. It wasn't simple to do from Alaska. I had to pay my own travel and accommodations to the clinical trial site and pay for all the blood draws I had for it here in Alaska.

I was on estriol for a while by Rx from the local OB-GYN, a rather fine female doc who has since moved on. She didn't have a lot of knowledge about the use of estriol when I went to her to ask about it. but she researched it for me as her bc patient.

I stopped using the testosterone Rx I had just after completing the clinical trial and never had used it in the genital area. I stopped it because I was considering participating in a different clinical trial which required no use of hormones of any kind. I will check back in here once I've seen my PCP/NP about renewing the Rx.

Thanks for the suggestion, by the way!

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter