HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
madubois63
Senior Member
 
madubois63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 660
I had the tram flap reconstruction immediately following the mastectomy. It was a very painful recuperation (thank God for morphine), but the doc did an amazing job. I am thrilled with the the breast and the tummy tuck, but I did experience the hernia not once but twice. The hernia was repaired once, and within a years time, it herniated again. I was scheduled for repair surgery when a relapse was discovered, so I never got it fixed. I am so jealous you have the opportunity to have experts in the field perform your surgery!!! Good luck!!!!
__________________
Maryann
Stage IV Inflammatory BC 1/00
Mod Rad Mastectomy 24nod/5+
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Mary Jo
Senior Member
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
Hi Margerie,

The surgery will take place (if I have it done) 1 hour and 10 minutes from our house. In Milwaukee at Froedtert and The Medical College of Wisconsin. The good news is that this is the place I had both mastectomy's and also is where my oncologist is located and all other treatment was done. So, I must say, I feel quite at home their - kind of sad huh? No, seriously, I do and that is a plus in itself.

Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
sarah
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: france
Posts: 1,648
I had a mastectomy/reconstruction all in one - 8 hour operation. They took the fat from the abdomen (the dr said afterwards he thought I had more fat there than I did) It looked and felt great but I have to say when I woke up, I was in such pain I said "oh my God, what have I done!" the morphine drip which is right there by your bed side to push on barely helps the pain. I was very grateful for my friends who brought me books on tape, a scented pillow and stuffed animal. I had access to a DVD and TV but couldn't watch anything. I can't say I would recommend it but all the women I spoke to before having it were happy and didn't seem to suffer the pain I did or had forgotten it.
It's probably advanced a lot since 1999 and hopefully they'll give you more pain relief.
The result was very good. Unfortunately I've had recurrence in that same breast so I've had a lot of surgery there since and it doesn't look as even with the other breast as it did after the initial op.
At the time, I wanted to have both breasts off but the oncologist and surgeons went crazy about that idea. I just wanted to be even on both sides and thought that would be the best and safest solution.
Whatever you choose, remember the pain will go away and go into hospital with books on tape and soothing music and a nice scented pillow and stuffed animal.
Also I needed 6 days in the hospital - insurance can push you out after 4 so you might want to check on that also in case you need the extra days.
all the best
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Mary Jo
Senior Member
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
Thank you Sarah for your input on this. Yes, I've heard that the pain from reconstruction is not pretty. (just a nice way of say damn, it hurts) but as you said, yes, much has changed since 1999. I included the link to the DIEP surgery I am considering and actually much has changed. One of the major changes is that they use to take muscle from your abdomin and now they do not use the muscle only the fat. Which, as the article states, does cut down on the pain and recovery from this type of procedure. The surgery is done by microsurgeons and it just so happens that Dr. Hijjawi and his partner are 2 of fewer than 40 surgeons who specilize in this type of surgery right at the hospital I have had all my cancer care at. I've been praying for a sense of leading from God as to what I should do in this matter - is it right for me - am I in good hands etc. I'm trusting Him to lead me to the right answers. So far, I'm feeling that things are looking good - falling into place as it were - just as things have for the past 2 1/2 years. Of course, time will tell what will be, and for now I will research my options - consult with the doctors and take it from their.

Again, thanks for your input all of you - margerie, madubois and sarah

Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter