 |
10-26-2007, 04:57 PM
|
#1
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton, NJ
Posts: 4,179
|
Dear Mary Anne
Unfortunately, when I was first diagnosed and as positive as I ever was, there was a very similar study published. I figured, how can that be - a happier and more positive outlook must be good for the immune system (and I just can't believe it isn't). None-the-less, even if there is no benefit to survival, there is a huge benefit to the quality of life. I know many women (some 14 or 20 yr disease free survivors) who are still just waiting for their cancer to come back!!! Really! What kind of life do they have? It can't be fun or fun for their families either. Whether I have one day or another 40 years, I want to be remembered as being me and not being like I should have died cuz that's how I always acted. So, I think attitude and emotional well being is good for quality of life and good for the quality of life for those you love. And that's almost more important.
__________________
Kind regards
Becky
Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia
NED 18 years!
Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
|
|
|
10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
|
#2
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,756
|
Amen! My sister has a "pat" saying for those who ask her how I'm doing but obviously worried and scared for me and almost afraid to ask: "She's LIVING with cancer!"
I love her for that, and that's exactly how it is, living with cancer until my time comes, which is all any of us can do, cancer or no cancer.
<3 Lolly
__________________
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.
Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
|
|
|
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
|
#3
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
|
I, too, believe attitude plays a huge roll in these our cancer journey's. I am not a big believer in the attitude playing a big part in what is meant to be BUT I am a HUGE believer in how attitude affects the quality of our lives. Most definitely. I believe our "day" is already determined so fretting over the "what ifs" in life is a huge waste of time (and I've wasted plenty of them ) BUT my attitude (mostly good) and what I believe makes my days living here on earth happy and peaceful MOST of the time.
I try to grab hold of this philosphy.......................................gr ab a hold, hold on tight and enjoy the hell out of life. Serve and love others as that brings you the absolute MOST joy and peace. I remind myself daily that God loves us incredibly
~ he feels our pains ~ and is holding us close as we walk with Him and one day He will be bringing me Home to Himself and eternal peace and joy will never leave. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
Attitude is everything
Psalm 139:16
Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++ RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node No Vasucular Invasion 4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin 1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks 28 rads prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06
17 Years NED
<>< Romans 8:28
|
|
|
10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
|
#4
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 221
|
Molly Ivins quote
Marejo, I do not share your particular faith, but I LOVE your advice - GRAB HOLD! ENJOY! LOVE! We cannot do better than that.
As for attitude affecting cancer outcome, Molly Ivins said it simply and strongly, which I understand was her style for life in general:
"Another thing you get as a cancer patient is a lot of football-coach patter. "You can beat this; you can win; you're strong; you're tough; get psyched." I suspect that cancer doesn't give a rat's ass whether you have a positive mental attitude. It just sits in there multiplying away, whether you are admirably stoic or weeping and wailing. The only reason to have a positive mental attitude is that it makes life better. It doesn't cure cancer."
Debbie Laxague
|
|
|
10-26-2007, 09:00 PM
|
#5
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,154
|
Attitude is vital to our exsistance, even if we do not have a dx. of cancer.
The human spirit is a wonderous mystery. Some people will thrive while
enduring adversity...and then there are others who are upset when they
break a nail and the rest of their day is ruined.
My dear sisters let's never forget the determination of the turtle who out ran the rabbit! Now that turtle had some attitude! He never gave up as that darn rabbit ran past him.
I love you all,
Jean
__________________
Stage 1, Grade 1, 3/30/05
Lumpectomy 4/15/05 - 6MM IDC
Node Neg. (Sentinel node)
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
|
|
|
| Thread Tools |
|
|
| Display Modes |
Hybrid Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 AM.
|