HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Cristina19

Hi Cathy,

I chose to have immediate free-TRAM reconstruction, perhaps because I was so shocked about everything (diagnosis, the idea of losing a breast, not wanting to do implants). My man-friend was supportive of me NOT doing any reconstruction, but I suspect that I was also concerned about how "disfigurement" would impact my self-confidence in my fabulous, yet "newish" relationship.

Now, 4 months after surgery, I'm not sure I would have chosen reconstruction. I simply traded one scar (mastectomy) for two (breast and abdomen) and my body was more impacted.

I suspect that when the reconstruction is completed (the surgeon will make my new breast smaller to match the natural breast and reconstruct the nipple), I may feel differently. I also can't really speak to what it's like to not have a breast (or breasts).

Anyway, I'm not sure having a breast is worth the impact on the body from reconstruction. Just something to consider as you work your way through the issues....

By the way, the ancient Greeks had a myth of Amazon women who cut off one breast so that they could shoot their lethal arrows. Being a single-breasted Amazon might feel empowering!

All the best,
Cristina
Cristina19 is offline   Reply With Quote