HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
PinkGirl
Senior Member
 
PinkGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,193
Talking Brenda

We don't actually know how much of our taxes go to health care. We pay Federal taxes to the Government of Canada, and we pay Provincial taxes to our respective provinces. Because some of our provinces are not as wealthy as others, the Federal government gives money to the Provinces to help with health care budgets. Health care is a provincial responsibility, so there are differences between the care given. We also do not have the choices that you have in the States. We cannot just make an appt. with a specialist. Everything starts with a GP or your family doctor. They refer the patient to a specialist. To be cost effective, they are supposed to (but don't always) refer us to the closest specialist. When I was dx. I had my choice of 2 Cancer Centres, and I was assigned to an oncologist. I like my onc. but if I didn't, I would end up with another one at this centre, or start over at the other centre I could have gone to. My cancer centre is 5 hours away from where I live. I receive a travel grant of $265.00 every time I go there (I am there right now) I stay at a beautiful patient lodge, free of charge. It is like a 5 star motel. I am using their free internet right now. If I was so sick that I had to be flown here, the Canadian Cancer Society would fly me here, but I would have to give them my $265.00 grant. If I am flown from one hospital to another hospital, that is covered by our health insurance. I was dx. in August/05, mastectomy Sept/05 and started chemo Oct./05. So.......what can I say...we have excellent health care, but we don't have the choices you have. I'm sure you can't imagine being told who your oncologist is going to be !!! I could go on and on about this..........Gotta go to bed... I have my scans tomorrow.
__________________
PinkGirl

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09



" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter