HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
PinkGirl
Senior Member
 
PinkGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,193
Hi
I recommend two very good books by Dr. Robert Buckman. One is called "Cancer is a Word not a Sentence", and the other is "I Don't Know What to Say". I can sort of paraphrase some of the info from the books:

- make yourself comfortable, take your coat off so your friend knows that you want to be there with her; try to act "at ease".

-it is more important to listen than to try and find the right thing to say. Always ask if the person wants to talk. Use techniques like nodding, smiling and repeating some of her words so she knows you are hearing her, understanding her and listening to her.

-always acknowledge the existence of her emotions - it's okay to say "this must be very hard for you" or "this is very sad".

-it's okay to be silent - just hold her hand and make eye contact.

-acknowledge humor if she is dealing with things that way

-end with a clear contract - "I'll see you on Friday" or "I'll call you next week".

Hope this helps somewhat. The jist of it was that there is no magical, profound thing to say. Just be there and listen.
__________________
PinkGirl

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09



" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter