HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #23
Val Pfeiffer
Senior Member
 
Val Pfeiffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 159
I was also fairly young (42) at diagnosis. I had my left breast removed and from the start I assumed that I would have reconstruction. It was going to need to be a silicone implant, since I don’t have enough tissue to steal from someplace else on my body.

But then, like many of you, I had a lot of time to think about it after more chemo and radiation. I haven’t gotten around to reconstruction and I don’t know if I ever will. I was always a small A or AA (in fact, when I ordered a prosthesis for my swimsuit, even the smallest size they sold was too big!!) so I am not that lopsided. I use a swim insert in a mastectomy bra for daily wear, and when I teach Spin (indoor biking--a great workout!) I use a fluffy hospital freebie prosthesis stuffed into my non-mastectomy sports bra (of course I had to remove half the stuffing -- and yes, it was the smallest size they offered!).

I have sort of become accustomed to having only one breast. I had two initial consults with the plastic surgeon, but I have made and canceled several appointments with him over the last two years, but I have one coming up that I will probably keep. His big concern is stretching my radiated skin. As I mentioned, I don’t have skin to spare, and he is extremely concerned about the results we may get. So I’ll probably end up doing nothing again this year :-)

As others have said, this is a very personal decision. Take your time and the answer will come to you.

Good luck!
Val
__________________
BLOG:
http://valleygirlvnp.blogspot.com/
Dx 11/04, Age 42, ER-/PR-, HER2+++
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter