HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Margerie
Senior Member
 
Margerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 492
I grew up in Mississippi in the early 70's. I remember every summer, there were days we weren't allowed outside at night because of the mosquito spray trucks were hitting the neighborhoods. Hit puberty then too!
__________________
Are we there yet?


Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Hopeful
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,380
I remember the mosquito spray trucks coming down my street several times a summer, as a young girl (around age 9 - 12 or 13, at least; I hit puberty one month before I turned 11). Kids used to perversely run behind the trucks in the spray. Studies say early exposure to carcinogens leads to increased bc . . .

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Lani
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,783
I remember parathion being sprayed from helicopters

in the San Jose/Peninsula area in the mid/late 70s to early to mid 80s for an infestation that threatened fruit crops.

We were told to park our cars insides to avoid the paint on the cars being ruined by the spraying !!!!!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Donna
Senior Member
 
Donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Shingle Springs, CA - near Sacramento
Posts: 295
I was in the Bay Area, too

Interesting thread..........

I was in the Bay Area for training for a job during a spray of malathion which is the same sort of mosquito spray - and we weren't notified at the hotel to cover our cars - the spray did eat the paint on my car. It looked like huge rust spots all over it and my insurance company was one of the few that paid for a new paint job. It was so corrosive that it ate all the way down to the metal, it was awful. I was so amazed that people weren't more concerned about it - if it would do that to the paint on my car, good gawd, what would it do to human tissues and lungs?????

Now we know, huh?

I don't suppose one exposure would be enough, but who would know?

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Lani
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,783
thanks for reminding me that it was malathion and not parathion

I guess the malathion got some of my brain cells!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
dberg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 52
Like Hopeful I spent many summer nights in the 60s chasing the mosquito trucks in Florida! All the kids in the neighborhood joined in. What were our parents thinking?
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
Hopeful
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,380
dberg,

I didn't run behind the trucks, though kids in my neighborhood did. I remember my mother shouting, "Close the windows!" at the first sign of the trucks, and the drill was we all ran around the house closing doors and windows (this was circa 1963, pre-air conditioning in my house). I do recall that noxious mist coming right through my bedroom window as I slammed it shut.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Mary Anne in TX
Senior Member
 
Mary Anne in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,357
I was one of the rug rats

who chased the sprayers! How bad was that! I grew up in the greater Houston area and they sprayed all the time! ma
__________________
MA in TX.
Grateful for each and every day....

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter