HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
danceswithrain
Senior Member
 
danceswithrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alaska/arizona
Posts: 26
Talking Spontanous Combustion

Any one who doesn't believe in it never had the every 20 minutes chemo induced hot flashes. Full fans at night, window open in Alaska (about 49 degrees outside) I'm freezing out my hubby.
Anybody know if it's ok to take Black Cohash on TCH?
__________________
Vicki
dia 4/07 stage 3 grade2
4.3cm w/enlarge lymph nodes;
er/pr-,HER2+++;Ki67 55%
TCH X3 every 3wks till 8/7/07,
Herceptin till 4/4/08
danceswithrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Sheila
Senior Member
 
Sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 3,507
Hot flashes....what would life be without them....I have had them for over 2 years now...worse at night. I don't take anything, but did get the hubby to purchase the sleigh bed I always wanted, with a pillowtop mattress....makes sleeping a little easier. I try to avoid hot liquids...plenty of water and cloths to wipe my face with. I was told black cohash was not good if you are ER+....can't remember where I heard it...it seems to counteract the Arimidex Tamoxifen etc.
__________________
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet
is fighting some kind of battle."



Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
sassy
Senior Member
 
sassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Images: 4
Neurontin

Almost two years after Dx, my bodoy was trying to come out of menopause, complete with hot flashes and lots of various aches and pains and a real emotional roller coaster. I was switched to monthly Lupron shots from every three month shots which stepped up the roller coaster ride.

My onc suggested Neurontin for the hot flashes. This is a relatively new treatment for menopausal side effects. It is actually an anti-seizure drug.

After working on dosages for a couple of months, I am amazed at the difference in how I feel. The hot flashes are gone, allowing me to sleep better, which I am sure contributes to my feeling better in general. The various aches and pains are much better, however I do still have stiff joints and a hip problem that I will post about in another thread. One negative of Neurontin is increased apetite, so along with the Lurpon and Arimidex leaves me really fighting my already spreading girth.

I would recommend trying Neurontin--it has made a huge difference for me.
________
Marijuana bubbler

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:20 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
mslinda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lumberton, Mississippi
Posts: 118
Neurontin

Hi Sassy:
My oncologyst has just prescribed the Neurontin for my hot flashes, aches and pains. I am on 300 mg, and now on my 2 pills daily. I am still walking around in a daze until about noon or so. Sure do sleep well at night. I am concerned about the possible weight gain, as I surely do not need that. I was skeptical when she prescribed it. But decided to give it a try. So far so good as far as the hot flashes go. I am having a lot of hip pain, shoulder and neck. Also been having some dizzy spells and light headaches. Having an MRI on the 5th. of the brain and left shoulder. Not looking forward to the time in that tube.

Take care
Linda
S. Mississippi
__________________
Diagnosed 12/23/04
Biopsy 12/28/04
Lumpectomy 1/04/05
IDC, ER-PR-, HER2Neu+++
7mm tumor, Stage 1, Grade 3
6 CAF's
38 Rads
Finished 10/05

"Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up."
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
sassy
Senior Member
 
sassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Images: 4
Linda,

I had a short period of dizziness, etc while trying to figure out what was the best dosage of Neurontin. We finally settled on 600 mg four times a day. It took about two months to get to that level and stay on an even keel. I think it is very important to maintain the level of meds at a constant. If I miss a dose, by 30 minutes later I go into a full body flush!

Weight is certainly an issue for me, but it was before the Neurontin. The Neurontin just hasn't helped in that arena!

Hope all goes well for you.
________
Hey_Hey cam

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:20 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter