 |
04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
|
#1
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Misty woods of WA State
Posts: 4,128
|
The "trials" of a trial ...
Glad things all worked out in the end. Having the right orders in the first place makes a huge difference in how the infusion day goes!
Is the Avastin weekly?? The answer may be in one of your other posts, but was wondering as you have that commute to contend with. I can imagine your blood pressure reading was a little out of whack by the time you got to sit down and someone could check it!!
All best wishes that this combo will put your mets behind you without cutting too much into the rest of your life.
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." H.D. Thoreau
Live in the moment.
MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
|
|
|
04-25-2007, 10:28 PM
|
#2
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: northshore suburb of chicago
Posts: 1,093
|
Wow, what a day. I sure hope this new regiment does the trick and that you feel well during it.
__________________
~Rina~
Dx:3/06 had a lumpectomy April 19, 2006
Her2+ er/pr- Stage I Grade 3 tumor size 1.4 cm, node negative
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
|
|
|
04-25-2007, 11:03 PM
|
#3
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,756
|
Chris, you make it sound like fun! What a day, and first nurse didn't make things any easier but we're all human. #2 more than made up for #1, and you left with a good feeling so hoping the subsequent visits are all way cool!
Avastin is an exciting option, and thank you for helping the research along.
<3 Lolly
__________________
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.
Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
|
|
|
04-26-2007, 05:07 AM
|
#4
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 3,507
|
Chrisy
WOW, was a cozmo in order after all that? We get so used to our usual routine, that it makes it hard when we are sent to what seems to be an impersonal chemo center....looks to me it is up to Chrisy to show them what we expect! There is NO excuse for crabby, impersonal nurses! Hope the rest of your day was peaceful and relaxing, and especially hoping this is magic for you! So glad the calcium levels were good.
Reading your post is what we love about you Chrisy, you made an absolutely horrible day seem funny and tolerable.....I was glued to the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next...you should write stories, I'd be your biggest fan!
__________________
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
|
|
|
04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
|
#5
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
|
Wow, I'm out of breath and dizzy from only reading about your day. I can only imagine how you must have felt. LOL! Oh well, the important this is you are started. Only good things to come, I pray.
Loving you "sister"
Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++ RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node No Vasucular Invasion 4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin 1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks 28 rads prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06
17 Years NED
<>< Romans 8:28
|
|
|
04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
|
#6
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilmington, Del.
Posts: 1,126
|
Wow. You are getting really aggressive treatment. A woman in my support group is stage IV with bone mets. Not Her2 positive. SHe's on avastin. Her lesions are "healing." Imagine that. I guess all the cancer died and now the inflamed areas are healing. I look forward to hearing how your liver mets have dried up and disappeared. I had my chemo in a giant room that looked to me like the waiting room in Penn Station, New York. The only difference was the row after row of recliners instead of hard plastic chairs. Now the cancer center plans to triple the size of the infusion area - but they are getting designers in to make it friendlier. I don't ever plan to use it, but I'm glad for future patients. I hated the place for a while. I didn't like seeing nurses rush around like waitresses. But I adjusted and now feel friendly toward the place. It's where we get healed! Ah nurses. Many are so very good, but a few.... I remember the new nurse who couldn't get my vein after two tries and a tear rolled down her cheek. I felt I should comfort her, but reminded myself that I was the patient.
__________________
MJO
IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
|
|
|
04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
|
#7
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 624
|
Sorry you had such a bad experience at first, but I am glad it got better at the end. I am hoping and praying that you are doing well and that the treatment will be successful!
|
|
|
04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
|
#8
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,154
|
Chrisy,
Wow - what a story - thanks for sharing your day!
How often will you be going to this caner center?
I am just certain that you will have nurse #1 understand
in short time how to behave....
I am sending you all good wishes for great treatment results!
You shall and will have that.
Hugs,
jean
__________________
Stage 1, Grade 1, 3/30/05
Lumpectomy 4/15/05 - 6MM IDC
Node Neg. (Sentinel node)
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
|
|
|
| Thread Tools |
|
|
| Display Modes |
Hybrid Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.
|