HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 09-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Ora

I started herceptin in June and take it every 3 weeks. I had a reaction to first dose - chills & fever, but seem to tolerate it now and take benedryl and tylenol with my treatment. I am also on Femara. I think I can attribute some of my ailments to herceptin and some to the chemo. My runny nose, swollen feet, and dull pressure-type headaches are probably from the herceptin. My arthritis is much worse now in my hip and back, but I gained weight with everything so I know that affects my arthritis. The hot flashes are from the Femara and I take 37.5 mg of Effexor for that and it works pretty well. Since I had chemo first, I believe my insomnia started then but I still have it and must take a Xanax and an Ambien to sleep. My mental problems and toe/foot numbness also started with the chemo. Actually, I think my brain is working a little better now. After almost a full year not being able to read a book, I've finished two in the last month. Although I must confess I thought I was going to have to describe Ambien as "bucket"! I couldn't remember the name. I have had the "air hunger" too. I thought it was because of my heart, but it mostly happened at night or when I got into a hot car - it was over 100 degrees most of the summer. I got this tip from my dog. She's a fat black lab and when she pants she will put her face up to the fan. I tried it at night and it seemed to work - the breeze helped me gulp air better. I would just turn it on when I needed it. Herceptin is my wonder drug and I can manage all of these side effects just to be able to take it.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
vikkismom

herceptin and congestive heart failure

Hi,I am a new member here and i really need some info.My daughter was taking herceptin every 3 weeks to be completed in mid feb.07.In mid july she went into congestive heart failure.Her first muga scan was done after she gave birth to a healthy baby girl and came back good(67%) She started taxol/herceptin for 7 weeks then just herceptin.She had muga scan done after taxol/herceptin and it was 34%.But the results were late getting to her onc office and she had 2 herceptin treatments.She went into heart failure (20%)She is doing a little better now but every thing is on hold at this time.She is really unsure as what to do.Is there any studies about shorter treatment with herceptin?She has had left breast masectomy diag.stage 3 her2+ with 9 nodes positive.(invasive ductal)Also she has rads to go thru.Any comments or thoughts will be welcome vikkismom
vikkismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Marily

Congestive Heart Failure

Hello Vickismom, hope I got that right??
I went into Congestive Heart Failure and went down to 21%. My cardiologist put me on medications and we gave it a rest with the Herceptin for about 8 weeks. We redid the muga and they watched and worked on my medication to correct the hearts problems. I now take 50mg Coreg twice a day (strengthens the heart) I was on Digitalis to help the heart pump better but off that now. I take Diovan and Furosamide which take out the excess fluid so the heart does not have to work so hard. I am doing fine and this last muga I was back up to 60% but it has taken me a couple years to achieve that. I was carefully watched on the Herceptin by my cardiologist and am doing fine now. during that time they also found I had sleep apnea, so I have a cpap machine and oxygen throughout the night. I seem to be walking and breathing fine. Get a good cardiologist on your team.. it makes all the difference in the world.
Hugs and good luck,
Marily
oh and I was on Herceptin about 31/2 years when this happened so watch carefully it does not always show dammage at an early time!
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
elcalabrese

side effects

Glad to find out I am not crazy

I have been on Herceptin for 4 1/2 yrs.
Side effects.
Finger nails split and thin.
Finger tips cracked (I now wear fake nails to protect them).
Toe nail fungus.
Can't sleep
Medicinal "smell"
Runny nose especially when I eat something
Horribly dry eyes
Vision problems especially after treatment
Memory issues
Trouble speaking - forgetting words or completely drawing a blank. Also using wrong words or thinking one thing and saying something completely different.
Muscle and bone pain
Bloating and weight gain
Digestion problems
Congestion
ringing in ears
Prone to stomach and sinus disorders
And now my hands and feet are peeling. They burn and itch and even slightly warm water feels like it's scalding hot.
el
elcalabrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
bobbiw

Oh boy elcalabrese does that sound like me! I am very happy for the Herceptin and will certainly put up with the side affects dont get me wrong. But in my case it seems that it has also disrupted my ability to find gainful employment due to the cognitive stuff that I seem to have going on. I cant even imagine trying to learn a new skill these days or multi tasking or working in a fast paced environment. The madening part for me is that possible side affects such as these dont seem to be recognized by the medical community. AND if you are stage IIb and doing well physically, SS disability does not recognize the difficulties either.
Well one day at a time one foot ahead of the other huh.
Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
tousled1

Moving this up

Since we have so many new members, I am taking the liberty of moving this thread up. I'm sure that the "newbies" might find it helpful.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
Doris

Hi,

I've been on Herceptin alone since April 2006. At first it was weekly; then I switched to every 3 weeks. My symptoms are as follows:
- Diarrhea
- Joint pain, particularly in my hip. (I actually have lots of joint and muscle pain throughout my body! But since I have arthritis, it's hard to say what is due to the Herceptin. The hip pain began after Herceptin was started.)
- Fingernails that split and shred
- Intermittent dull headaches
- Increasing problems with finding the right word and with thinking clearly
- Runny eyes
I was diagnosed 12/05 with Stage IIIA, Her++, ER negative, cancer found in 4 lymph nodes. I had 6 wks of chemotherapy and 6 wks of radiation.
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
dchips1

Herceptin Works for me

I was dx stafe 4 IDC 1/06 now it is 1/07 and I am NED!!! Been that way since August. Liver and bone mets are gone!! Praise God and good drugs. I am a very active person, I have a blended family of 5 teens and a 6 yr old and I take care of special needs children, and work part time for the school as a nurse.
Timeline:
2/06 Mastectomy 3/9 nodes pos er/pr neg her2 pos
2/06 port placed
3/06 Taxol, carboplatnium, herceptin weekly x 3 then herceptin only for 6 months Zometa monthly (1rst two doses very sick 102 fever etc)
took neupogen, neumega, arasnep PRN
Good case of allergic reaction to carbo after the 16th dose
still on weekly herceptin
Good case of chemo brain!! Hot flashes and fatigue pretty much gone now
Brain still is not where it should be, Is this herceptin or chemo? Good question.
Finger nails brittle, peel MUGA at 62%-72%. I am going to get herceptin past a year, I feel like it has been the "juice of life" for me. I am NED and would like to stay that way.
I am going to continue weekly and I take coq10 and flax fish and a multivitamin.
My message to others with stage 4 is too never give up, be your own advocate!!! Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Smile Kat in the Delta

Hi MARILY,
How have you been ?? I searched for your name..Glad you are doing better... with that 60% My last was 48..
Tell us/ME HOW LONG YOU have had your B.C and HOW LONG you have BEEN ON HERCEPTIN..
Thanks.... Kat in the Delta
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote