HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Becky
Senior Member
 
Becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton, NJ
Posts: 4,179
Go to the gym and work out. Just be very careful about your affected arm side and go slowllllyyyy. The new way of thinking is to lift weights but do so caringly and slowly on that side. Light weights, not as many repetitions and work up to it. Same with the swimming - avoid excessive fatigue but do it and work up to it. It is good for that arm. I do lots of calistinics and light weights (only one or two time per week because it is my cross-training exercise as I am a runner and do the others for something different). But even with running (I was before but chemo killed my energy, taxol killed my legs and Herceptin took my breath away but finally, I am well at it again. I started walking for almost 2 years before I got back into it and you even have to be careful with your arm in walking or running as the swinging arm can force fluid into the hand).


Its always something. The biggest thing to watch (in my opinion) is injury - especially a wound (puncture wounds are the worst) and always carry Neosporin and a bandaide around with you. If it gets real red, get an antibiotic from your doctor.
__________________
Kind regards

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Linda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 143
I had a lumpectomy with full ax dissection and intense rads (including super clavs), so probably pretty similar treatment impact. I've always worked out, although during treatment I only walked. But then I started back slowly with the gym, after rads were done. I didn't use anything heavier than 5 pounds for my upper body for a few months, but gradually worked up and now I am pretty much back at my old workout, which is pretty intense.
My surgeon, who is one the top breast surgeons in the US, said the only thing to avoid was heavy weight resting on my shoulder (I don't do squats, for instance, or anything where the barbell is resting on my shoulders.) He also said not to carry a shoulder bag on the surgery side. His theorey is that the lymph reroutes. All I know, is I've been able to get back into shape, do whatever I want and have no problems with my arm. Good luck.
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Caroline UK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 96
Becky, what is Neosporin? I'm in the UK, and I'm imagining it's an antibiotic, but is it in cream form or tablets? That's a good suggestion, anyway, and I'll be putting Band-Aids in every bag from now on.
Jill's husband CPA, I think I'll get some proper professional advice from a physio, that's another good suggestion.
And Linda, I hadn't even thought about the bag thing. I always carry my bag across my body, too, but luckily across the unaffected side, by chance, but that's well worth knowing and remembering.
Thank you all!
Caroline
__________________
Caroline
Diag. March 10th 2006, aged 46.
Invasive ductal carcinoma, 2cm + multifocal. Stage 2, Grade 3
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
juanita
Senior Member
 
juanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: indianapolis, indiana
Posts: 1,544
Neosporin is an antibiotic cream. I feel like I should own the company with as much of it as I went throough when my son was younger.
__________________
dxd 9-04, lumpectomy,
st 1, gr 3, er,pr-, her2 +,
2 tac,33 rads,6 cmf
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter