HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
tricia keegan
Senior Member
 
tricia keegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,463
Donna I had three nodes affected and 3 area's radiated to include the neck area. (Sorry can't remember the exact word right now...supraclavical I think)

I was glad as my friends sil did not have this but had a recurrance around that area but in your case maybe with just one node they don't have to go to those lenghs.
I'll be curious to read what other's have had to.
maybe mine was overkill!!!
Tricia
__________________
Tricia
Dx July '05 IDC 1.9cm Triple positive 3/9 nodes positive
A/C X 4 ..Taxol/Herceptin x 12 wks then herceptin 1 yr
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
tousled1
Senior Member
 
tousled1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,104
I'm stage III and when I had my radiation I had what the radiation oncologist refered to as "whole chest radiation." In other words, my mastectomy area, supraclavical area, and my axillary area.
__________________
Kate
Stage IIIC Diagnosed Oct 25, 2005 (age 58)
ER/PR-, HER2+++, grade 3, Ploidy/DNA index: Aneuploid/1.61, S-phase: 24.2%
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Mary Jo
Senior Member
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
I had 1 microscopic cell in my first sentinal node and second sentinal node was clean. However, when surgery was being performed my husband was told that there was no lymph node involvment. When everything is gone over with a "fine tooth comb" in pathology after my mastectomy was completed is when the microscopic cell was found in first node. My surgeon was confident that it wasn't in any other nodes (she said for all we knew the tiny pin head size cell could have come from the needle from the mapping) and I was also. So confident that I wouldn't allow them to go back in and take more lymph nodes. BUT, because of that choice both radiation oncologists I consulted with said radiation to that area was crucial. So..........of course, I did it.


Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
CLTann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 476
It is my gut feeling as well as the articles I have read that says radiation to the affected node area, no matter how small or micro, should be the standard procedure. I would strongly suggest that this point is gone over with a second or a third opinion. Many oncs just are not on the ball sometimes.

Best luck.
__________________
Ann

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
KellyA
Senior Member
 
KellyA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 301
Radiation treatments

Hi there. I had 3+ nodes and had a double mast. Four areas were radiated, to include under the arm, the nodes near the sternum, the nodes above my breast, and my shoulderblade area. They tried to "circle" all of the nodes around the breast and I was told that this had the same cure rate as if the nodes in those areas had been removed (they did only remove the auxillary nodes). I may have needed extra treatment because I had more node involvement.


Love, Kelly
__________________
dx'd 05/06, 37 years old
er/pr-, Her2+, grade 3
double mastectomy, immediate reconstruction- implants
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Leslie S
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11
Radiation to lymph nodes

Hi Donna,
I had one large, fully involved lymph node positive out of 20. I had radiation to the breast and supraclavicular area ( above the collar bone). My radiation oncologist did not do the axillary area under the arm where the nodes were taken from. It would increase the chances of lymphedema. Hope this helps and is what your doc is thinking.
Leslie
Leslie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Catherine
Senior Member
 
Catherine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 715
I know enough to be dangerous

I had 3 nodes that were positive out of 14. I had chemo first and the chemo shrunk the tumors and the nodes down to the bare minium. Then Bilateral mast. and then 33 rads. My rads were to my chest, under my arm up by my neck and the back of my shoulder. I was not given the names like upper clavical. They just drew a picture for me where they were going to radiate. From the best of my knowledge, they radiated 4 areas. My oncologist called my treatment "the full meal deal." I do not know if this was overkill, but I am thru with all of it. Both my surgeon and oncologist recommended this course of treatment, and I decided to trust them. My husband listened to everything they said, did his own research. We both are comfortable that we have good doctors and took their advice and are happy with the treatment. Good luck. Each situation is a little different. Ask lots of questions and get a second opinion. You want all the ammunition you can get.

All the best, Catherine
__________________
Catherine


Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter