HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
juanita
Senior Member
 
juanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: indianapolis, indiana
Posts: 1,544
Mine was right at 1 cm, grade 3, er/pr-, her2+, no node involvement. My onc automatically started me on herceptin as soon as I finished chemo, which was like a week after they made it available without being in a study.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Bev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
I don't know if there is a protocol yet as it was approved last month. You have IDC which means some cancer cells could be circulating looking for somewhere else to create havoc. Herceptin has few side effects but only works for about half of HER+. Your grade may tell you if you should persue more treatment. Get more opinions. The downside is they might want to combine it with a chemo agent to make it more effective. Only you can decide. If you can get Herceptin alone, I would do it. I think I would do it also if you had to do it with taxol.

Also if you are ER/PR neg, you have more limited treatment options, which would make Herceptin look like a very good choice. Good luck, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Jean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,154
get additional opinions,

I had a small tumor (one size does not fit all) do not decide based on tumor size alone, rather decide on the character of your tumor, is it high risk, what is the grade and what is the KI67 levels, as I said, I had a small tumor 6mm prior to
biopsey and 3mm when lumpectomy was done, but it was high risk for recurrance and was node neg. It is favorable to have node neg. and small tumor catching the beast early, but Her2 likes to travel, I would consult with additional dr. - treatment has changed much this past year. I did decide to have chemo/herceptin ..

Wishing you the best.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
penelope
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 153
Me too! I had a 7mm node negative tumor and had chemo and herceptin. I finish in January. Herceptin is easy to take.
__________________

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
MJo
Senior Member
 
MJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilmington, Del.
Posts: 1,126
I was stage 1 with a .5 CM tumor and node neg. My Oncotype DX score was 32 -- the beginning of high risk. I took Herceptin. My impression is that Her2 cancers, no matter how small, always score "high intermediate" or "high" risk of recurrence in 10 years on the Oncotype DX test. My guess is that in the future the question will not be whether or not to take Herceptin (or Tykerb) if we are Her2, but how long to take Herceptin.
__________________
MJO

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter