HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Susan
Senior Member
 
Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 73
Hi Sue:

I was on my 8th month of herceptin, and I also had my blood pressure go up. I was put on a diuritic, then put on a second blood pressure that was a ACE inhibitor. My Muga scores started to drop and I was getting short of breath. I skipped 2 cycles of herceptin, then had another MUGA, and it continued to go down. So now I'm through with herceptin, and the doctors are hoping my heart will go back to normal. I now see a cardiologist, and I haven't had herceptin since August. I am already off the one bp medication, and hopefully my blood pressure will also go back to normal. The oncologist said that there are European studies showing getting herceptin for 6 months is just as good as getting it for one year. I've always been in great shape, exercising all the time, so having this shortness of breath for me was scary. I've noticed in the last 2 weeks, it seems to be better. I'll be interested to see what happens when I have another Muga in January. But either way the oncologist at the University of Michigan says I'm done with herceptin.

Good Luck. Sue
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Sheila
Senior Member
 
Sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 3,507
Sue
What kind of symptoms were you having besides the tightness? I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse and have been on Herceptin 3 years...
__________________
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet
is fighting some kind of battle."



Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Dianne M
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
Susan
Hi, who I the onc. at U of M. that you spoke with. I am wondering whether to do chemo and herceptin or herceptin alone. I have had 2 confilicting opions. We are here at MSU. I have focal microinvasion and I am not sure what to do. I begin radiation next week for 7 weeks. so I do have time.
Thanks
Dianne
Dianne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
Susan
Senior Member
 
Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 73
Hi Dianne:

I had a lumpectomy first, then AC chemo, radiation then herceptin. I also get a shot of faslodex once a month for 5 years. I see Dr. Max Wicha at U of M. He's really great!

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
MJo
Senior Member
 
MJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilmington, Del.
Posts: 1,126
I am on hold too

Sue -- I was very shocked today at my appointment when my onc told me my muga had dropped 16 points since I began treatment. Since I've had nine months of herceptin and I was Stage 1, he was willing to stop the treatment. I told him I'd be willing to be retested and finish my year. So I am on hold for six weeks. My muga is still normal -- 54. But my four mugas have jumped from 70 to 59 to 62 to 54. The "protocol" is to stop with a 16 point decrease. I was really blindsided, because I feel pretty good. As I said in another post, I feel that any Herceptin treatment over 6 months was a gift. But i'd feel more secure if I could finish a year.

The oncologist says that NIH cancer research funding has been cut so much (he blames Iraq) that there are no objective studies in the U.S. on how much herceptin is effective. He said most of the studies are funded by pharma companies, and Genentech, for example, would like us all to take Herceptin for 2 year$.

I'm not happy about this. It was unexpected. But I know I have a lot of company on this board. MJO
__________________
MJO

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter