HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Vanessa
Senior Member
 
Vanessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 624
I am hypothyroid and because I take thyroid medication, my family doctor, who is an MD, but also combines allopathic medicine with wholistic medicine, gave me a precription for Lugol's solution, which is an iodine solution to take in water. I initially went to their office when I found my lump and they sent me for a mammogram and ultrasounds and also told me to take Lugol's because they said thyroid hormone takes iodine away from breast tissue. I have been taking it every since then. I have reponded well to chemo and Herceptin. My recent tumour marker (CEA) was down from 274 to 17 to 1.5.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
vickie h
Senior Member
 
vickie h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san luis obispo, ca
Posts: 1,150
I too, take Lugol's solution everyday. 2 drops in a small amount of water. One of my Onc's is participating in a large study of iodine deficiencey and breast and prostate cancer. She is convinced that we consume approx 100 times less iodine than they do in Japan, and no it is not the tofu that keeps them cancer free over there, but the consumption of sea vegeatbles and greens that are high in iodine. I would google Lugol's solution and see if you can come up with some of the research. It is amazing stuff and a bottle costs approx $28.00 and lasts more than a lifetime. Your energy levels will also increase and a feeling of well being is also a bonus. There is only one lab in the U.S., back in North CArolina that tests your iodine levels, My Onc seems to think that this may be a turning point in breast cancer. I am now a 3 years survivor, having been diagnosed in early 2004 with Her2+++, er/pr-, and a tumour of 8cm, inflammatory and involving lymph nodes. My prognosis was horrible, but I am doing great. Please check out the iodine and if you need more info, please contact Julie Tagichi, who is heading this study and research, at the Sansum Medical Clinic in Santa Barbara, Ca.
It is worth the research. Love, Vickie H
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
SandyR
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 21
Red face

Thank you all for the information. Very interesting. My own onc says there is no correlation, but I can't be sure! I am trying to increase my intake of iodine and will check out the solution. Thanks for your responses!

SandyR
SandyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
jeff
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 15
amazon listserv

Sandy,

If you go to breastcancerchoices.org you will find info on a bc listserv (amazon-L) that has a bunch of women who are exploring this bc/iodine connection. I subscribed for awhile and I must say most of the discussion went over my head. But if you check their archives you'll find LOADS of discussion about this issue.

Good luck!
Jeff
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
heblaj01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 543
Sandy,

Here is an article dealing with iodine & breast cancer (in the second half of the text):
http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl1a.htm

More info is probably available in the google search for "iodine deficiency breast cancer"
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter