HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Moni
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX/Germany
Posts: 19
Er/pr

quick question - I'm trying to go through my sis-in-law's doc reports here but it only gives me a percentage next to ER and PR. How do I know its positive or negative?

Moni
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Hopeful
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,380
Moni, the percentage next to the ER and PR shows the percentage of cells that test positive for the receptor. There seems to be a lack of consensus among various laboratories as to what percentage of cells has to test positive for the result to be called "positive." Some places say anything over 1% is positive and others say 10% is the cut off point and I have seen as high as 20%. Knowing the relative number of the cells that stained positive gives you more information than a blanket "positive" or "negative;" the onc can make more refined treatment choices with the level of detail you are looking at. Hope this was helpful. Best of luck to your sister-in-law.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Moni
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX/Germany
Posts: 19
Thank you for your input hopeful!

I'm actually hopeful to find the right oncologist for her, obviously right now after the mastectomy she's been left alone with no treatment plan which makes me furious over here. Not much I can do but whatever I can do from here I will do.

Good luck to you,
Moni
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Bev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
C, I might ask about having 12 weeks of taxol with the first 12 weeks of Herceptin. Studies suggest that Herceptin and taxol work especially well together. If your loved one is relatively healthy she should be able to tolerate the additional side effects. The taxol is routinely done with stage 2A. The only difference between 1 and 2A is a centimeter. You could also get an oncotype test to see what the risk of recurrence is. Good luck. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter