 |
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
|
#1
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton, NJ
Posts: 4,179
|
Susan
I forget how big your tumor was. If it is 1cm or larger, I would go for the taxol with Herceptin. I had 2 micromets to the sentinel node so I was node positive so I got the taxol (of which there is great benefit to Her2+ bc regardless of hormone status (I think I posted the ASCO 2006 paper on this subject for you)). Maryanne on this forum was node negative and got taxol with Herceptin (1.1cm tumor) at Sloan Kettering.
I triple the 2nd opinion vote.
Becky
|
|
|
10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
|
#2
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
|
2nd and 3rd opinion. I'm ER/PR+, node neg 2.9 cm. I did taxol and Herceptin. There's always the oncotype DX test to predict your recurrence based on an evaluation of your genes. Short term I was OK with taxol, better than AC. Good Luck, BB
|
|
|
10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
|
#3
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
Posts: 606
|
Your decision
I would double check whether or not it is scientifically indicated based on the analysis of the cells in your tumor. I received the taxol family treatment when it was not indicated based on the studies of my cells (2003) because it is the "standard of care" treatment. Taxol was not the indicated best choice for me because the tumor was hormone negative according to friends who were pathologists that personally double checked all cell studies of my tumor. They had questioned the oncologist as to why it was being given to me. It was not needed, nor did it benefit me. Ask your oncologist to explain or find for you some very recent studies - medical journal articles out there that about how the taxol family alters the cancer cells within your body. I just read them about a week ago, but I cannot find them for you again. Good Luck
|
|
|
10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
|
#4
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 188
|
Hello Everyone and thank you all for your posts,
I have been receiving all of my care at Magee Womens Hospital here in Pittsburgh, and am actually in the same group as Dr. Brusky, my doctor is Dr. Lembersky. I think I could possibly even get a visit with Dr. Brusky without a whole lot of trouble.
Also, Becky I just wanted to let you know that I printed and saved the ASCO info that you had posted previously. This is what helped me have the guts to bring up the subject again, after I was told no at my second visit.
Thank you all so much.... just having so many doubts, and having my chemo on Monday, not feeling the greatest doesn't help matters either. I will also be finding out the results of my BRAC 1 & 2 testing next week on the 25th. When I feel better, I am sure I will do better with all of this.
Thank you all...it really means alot to me to get your insight & input
Susan V
__________________
Susan V - Pittsburgh PA
DX Age 37 on August 3, 2006
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR + (Highly Positive)
Her 2 +++
1.3 & 1.2 tumors right breast
node negative
lumpectomy 8-15-06
A/C Began 9-5-06 Finished A/C 11/6/06
Port Placement 9-15-06
Negative Test for BRAC1 & BRAC2 10-25-06
Began Tamoxofin November 21, 2006
First Herceptin November 27, 2006 Continues every 3 Weeks
First Radiation Treatment December 11, 2006
35 Rads Completed
Final Herceptin Treatment November 12, 2007
Port Removal November 19, 2007
Living Life to the Fullest !!
|
|
|
10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
|
#5
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 752
|
Susan;
Given that your tumor is greater than a cm I would take the additional chemo....I had taxol (hormone + as well)....don't know if your onc is suggesting that or taxotere. In any case, I had a larger tumor but negative nodes. However, a second tumor was found in my supraclavicular node.....her2+ cancer likes to travel and does unexpected things. I believe it is far better to hit it with the big guns the first time around and try to be sure you're not surprised later. All the best.
Cathy
__________________
Cathy
Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18
|
|
|
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
|
#6
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilmington, Del.
Posts: 1,126
|
Susan. I hope you will get a second opinion.
I had a .55 CM tumor, no nodes, er/pr+ and Her2++. That made me stage T1B, very early. I had the Oncotype DX test, which has been shown to accurately predict recurrence rates for node-neg women who are trying to decide whether to take chemo. My score was 32, the beginning of the high risk category, with a 22.5% chance of recurrence in 10 years. I recently visited the Johns Hopkins Ask an Expert site. Their position is that the Oncotype DX test is useful for node-neg women who ARE NOT HER2+. I'll bet you that EVERY Her2 tumor tested by Oncotype this past year has been high risk. I am glad I could add to the body of knowledge. It cost me $3000, since insurance wouldn't pay for the test.
Please consider getting taxol, which has been shown to increase the efficacy of Herceptin. I think we need to treat Her2 aggressively.
|
|
|
10-20-2006, 02:19 PM
|
#7
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 476
|
I have essentially the same report as yours, except that I had a mstec. Then I opted for no chemo and no radiation. I am post meno and on Arimidex. If you had mastec, I would strongly suggest not doing chemo/radiation. It is not always true that more aggressive treatments are good for BC patients. Some chemo do not work effectively for ER/PR positive patients. When you read about the side-effects of chemo and Herceptin among the people in this group, you can readily see that sometimes the damages were disproportionately greater than the alleged benefits. In summary, it is a flip of a coin in your case. You and only you can make this arbitrary choice.
Ann
|
|
|
| Thread Tools |
|
|
| Display Modes |
Hybrid Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.
|