HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
karenann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 438
Thanks everyone for the information. I didn't realize that Taxol was the drug being talked about. After reading Becky's post, I am glad Taxol was part of my treatment

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Hopeful
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,380
Doing a little research on taxanes, I found this article from 2 years ago: http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/taxanes.htm. Picking up Lani's comments about Herceptin enhancing the body's own immune system from the "propellerhead" thread, maybe this is why the combination is so powerful? Food for thought.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
saleboat
Senior Member
 
saleboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 250
Hi Susan,

I bet if you go to a major cancer center and get an opinion on your treatment plan, your Onc would be much more likely to see the point of adding Taxol-- at Sloan, I'm 90% certain that you'd get Taxol with your treatment given your stage and node status. Seems like it is much easier to change an Onc's mind when another Onc gets involved.

Good luck,
Jen
__________________
dx 4/05 @ 34 y.o.
Stage IIIC, ER+ (90%)/PR+ (95%)/HER2+ (IHC 3+)
lumpectomy-- 2.5 cm 15+/37 nodes
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller

Last edited by saleboat; 09-26-2006 at 12:38 PM..
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Mary Jo
Senior Member
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
Hello,


I also received 4 dose dense A/C and 4 dose dense taxol along with herceptin. My oncologist also said that in my situation the taxol along with herceptin was proven to be beneficial. I'm coming up on my LAST herceptin treatment (Oct. 11) and am finding that I am becoming a bit scared of recurrence.

God Bless all -

Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
Thumbs up Last visit, next visit

My onc is a general medical onc and doesn't specialize in breast cancer, so maybe it is harder for him to keep up with it all. But also, I got that opinion from him about 9 months ago at my most recent visit with him, prior to the date on those studies.

That said... it still appears that he consistently doesn't seem to see very far ahead...

Thanks again, Becky, for catching this thread and clearing up the confusion.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Bev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
I was confused, I thought Herceptin denied. I have read H & T synergistic. I have also read taxol makes cells more sensitive to be destroyed by rads. For triple positives, I think AC may be eventually abandoned. Except for eyelashes, brows and the top of your head and pain in extremeties, Taxanes are easier than AC. I'm a layman, I just know my feeling was to be as aggressive as posiible because I don't want to be in this place again, ever. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
Becky
Senior Member
 
Becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton, NJ
Posts: 4,179
Adriamycin will never be abandoned for about half of Her2+ women (regardless of hormone status) because about half of Her2+ women are also TopIIA positive (although it is not routinely tested right now, it will be) and adriamycin really knocks down and kills TopIIA positive bc. Therefore, about half the women who are Her2+ will get AC followed by TH and the others will get TCH (Taxol or taxotere with carboplatin and herceptin).


This is the wave of the future - better tumor marker testing so you only get the drugs that will work the best on your tumor and avoid others that don't do anything to the cancer.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter