HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
karenann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 438
Susan,

Was your onc talking about being node negative and not needing Herceptin? I have never heard that Herceptin has no value for er/pr+ bc.

I have the same pathology as you, 1.3cm tumor, er/pr+, grade 3, node negative and Her2+++. I did dose dense AC & T and just completed my year of Herceptin.

I would have changed oncs to get Herceptin.

Just my two cents.

Hugs,

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
SusanV, Karenann, and Bev,

I realized when reading your posts that we all tend to think primarily in terms of our own situation, not realizing that when we give short answers they are easily confusing, and I'm probably guilty here of that.

In my situation, what my onc was specifically referring to I think was to my question as someone who already finished original chemotherapy that didn't include a taxane, and was asking if I could now have both a taxane and Herceptin (for treatment more than 2 years out from original treatment). He said off the cuff that the taxane mostly really only helped those who were HR-.

Bev and Karenann, I think you were assuming from SusanV's post that she was saying Herceptin wouldn't be helpful to her--but I think she (like me in my earlier post) was not talking about not having Herceptin, but rather talking about whether adding Taxol was helpful, and her onc then told her the same thing mine told me--that adding a taxane works best for those who are HR-.

I hope no one minds if I start a new thread for this. It is getting hard to follow this one because it is so long.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
RobinP
Senior Member
 
RobinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
more on her2 history from the esteemed Dr. M. Pritchard, leader of HERA trial...

Excerpts from the Professionals: (from http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/bcu2006/2/default.htm)


DR PRITCHARD: The most interesting piece of data I saw was a curve showing that disease in untreated patients with ER-negative disease recurs quickly in the first few years, but then their curves level out much more than patients with ER-positive disease. On the other hand, untreated patients with ER-positive disease do much better in the first five years, and they’re still ahead in the next five years. However, at approximately 10 years, the disease-free survival curves for ER-positive and ER-negative disease cross over each other, and at 15 years, the survival curves are crossing.

DR LOVE: So the untreated patients with ER-positive disease have a higher delayed relapse rate than those with ER-negative disease?

DR PRITCHARD: Yes. It’s slower and steadier, but they keep recurring. It makes sense that we’re now seeing that treatment after five years can be very helpful, because these patients have an ongoing risk. We haven’t all appreciated this very well until the last few years. I believe that the Saphner paper showed this ongoing risk, and the Oxford Overview data have shown this before as well (Saphner 1996).

We all think of ER-positive disease as having a better natural history, but the fact is that by 10 years, more of the patients with ER-positive disease have recurred than the ER-negative group, both untreated. It’s shocking because we thought we could treat these patients with tamoxifen and after that they would do well and we would not have to worry about them, but they continue on having recurrences.

So I think adding additional treatment with an aromatase inhibitor or certainly evaluating these patients in clinical trials is important.


And more interesting comments on TX. for small tumors; excerpts from the Professionals:

DR LOVE: How do you manage a HER2-positive tumor smaller than one centimeter in the adjuvant setting? DR BURSTEIN: The honest answer is that we don’t know whether these women need trastuzumab. We do need to be respectful of the fact that these women have a better prognosis because their tumors are so small. Certainly for women whose tumors are ER-positive and less than one centimeter, I’ve not offered trastuzumab.

For patients with ER-negative disease, I suppose one could consider trastuzumab, though the quantifiable gains from adding this agent are not known. It would be interesting to conduct a study evaluating trastuzumab with or without chemotherapy in patients with very small tumors. Maybe we can begin to eliminate chemotherapy for the lower-risk patient population if we can alter the natural history of their disease.
__________________
Robin

__________________
Robin
2002- dx her2 positive DCIS/bc TX Mast, herceptin chemo
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
Deja vu

Thank you, RobinP (and Hope for her post as well). I have an appointment coming up soon with an onc who specializes in bc, and I'm glad if my confusion about all of this has opened this discussion for a number of us.

At the same time, it is interesting, ironic, and frustrating to find out that essentially my original question about the combination of Herceptin and a taxane in 2005 at the time of the ASCO presentation (for those who have never had a taxane) was not only common sense but a whole lot more on target than the professional vacuum about it.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
MJo
Senior Member
 
MJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilmington, Del.
Posts: 1,126
I had a tumor of 1/2 centimeter..very tiny...with neg. lymph nodes. Her2++
I took the Oncotype DX test. My score was 32, which is the beginning of the high risk fo recurrence (in 10 years) group. I know Jean's tumor was even smaller than mine, and her Oncotype score was higher. I didn't want chemo, but I felt I needed to take it.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
RobinP
Senior Member
 
RobinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
Red face

Good luck AA. I hope I didn't open a can of bad beans for you with this thread about relapse. In general I think that most people's odd of getting bc relapse five years out is more on the downside as evidenced by the various relapse curves that I posted. At the same time, I do think also that the long term relapse rate for her2+ that er/pr+ is very obscure, at this point, which makes it difficult to EXACTLY determine any delayed course of treatment for this group.Note there is not a defined course of delayed treatment for the hormonal negative group, her2+++ group either who never got Herceptin initially. I know, it really sucks, being in this boat.Maybe it's just best to ignore these relapse rates in certain circumstances. I don't know???

Perhaps the relapse data I posted is most useful to those newly diagnosed who are making adjuvant treatment choices now. Often physicians just don't offer this kind of information though, and make all the treatment choices for the patient. However, I think it is important for one to know their risks of relapse straight up so that they can do ALL the appropriate treatments that they feel necessary.
__________________
Robin
2002- dx her2 positive DCIS/bc TX Mast, herceptin chemo
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
gin-tx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 146
Recurrence of BC

Dear Robin,

I think your findings are very interesting and I intend to print it and show to my onc when I go next time. This is my second episode of BC, first was 10 yrs ago, lumpectamy followed by 36 radiation treatments. Now I have developed a problem with other breast, had biopsy in April, surgeon thought everything looked good but it came back malignant. He did sentinel node procedure, wider margins and first lymph node removed was malignant, only one in fact. It was Her2. This followed by a bone scan that revealed something unknown, then MRI that determined I had tumor on spine changing my status to Metastatic Grade IV. Had to address spine problem first, had 18 radiation treatments. Now am doing Herceptin w/Aridia, so far so good, have had 5 treatments. The docs are talking more radiation to breast that has been untreated, I told him I don't think I can handle it. See what mammogram and CT shows next month.

Thank you for your wonderful information. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

ginkott1@aol.com
gin-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter