HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
Lala
Senior Member
 
Lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 131
Natalie,

I hope that my experience can shed some light for you. When I was diagnosed I had the option of two very different paths of treatment; the first was Herceptin and Chemotherapy, the second was a Clinical Trial of Monoclonal drugs with no chemotherapy. The thought really over whelmed me, with the help of an oncologist I learned to look at my treatment options in a totally new light. This simple analogy helped me and my husband to finally understand; Imagine a tree with branches, each branch represents a drug choice for treatment. The more branches you have in your tree the better it is for you, if a branch should break then you jump to a new branch. As simplistic as the above analogy sounds it has helped me explain to many why I chose the clinical trial.

There are so many factors that make up a trial. Here are a few questions I asked: What phase it is in, is it an open or blind study, what are the requirements you must meet in order to participate, how will I be monitored, how many are enrolled, is there any new data from the trial from those already participating? I also researched the trial drug.

I can tell you I chose an open trial and felt comfortable with my decision. I was monitored weekly with physical exams, blood and urine tests. I was scanned every 8 weeks to insure that I was responding to the drugs. I also had the option to leave the trial at any point.

In my opinion clinical trials can offer the best in health care. It was a great experience for me. I am thankful that I had this option and I am proud to have helped in the research of a new drug for breast cancer.


Best of Luck to you,
__________________
Lala
DX Fall05 Stage 4 er+ pr+ her2+ liver and bone mets
DX Fall06 Brain mets, Brain mets gone Spring 2007
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter