HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Mary Jo
Senior Member
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
Hi Stephanie,

I, like you, opted out of reconstruction when I had my mastectomy. When treatment was all over they biopsied a suspicious area in my other breast. Thankfully, all was benign but I opted for yet another mastectomy at that time. The breast cancer side (right) was removed with clear margins - microscopic cell in first node - left breast removed and no cancer found at all. I, also like you, never regretted my "new look" and felt I needed to do what I did for me. It was the best decision for me.

At this time I don't think I'll opt for reconstruction. The length of surgery and all sounds awful to me. I HATE surgery and the whole medical scene (boy wasn't I lucky to get cancer - LOL LOL LOL). After reading your post I am thankful I didn't go through that either.

Good luck to you AND I'm thankful you are doing well.

Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Sheila
Senior Member
 
Sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 3,507
Stephanie....I know exactly how you feel...I have walked in your shoes...or your bra!
I went for reconstruction 1 1/2 years post mastectomy, had the tissue expander placed....had it filled every 2 weeks...then in the midst of all of this, I developed mets to the supraclavicular area so they went fast paced to remove the tissue expander and put the silicone implant in....I developed capsular adhesions around the implant, it is hard, sore snd unnatural looking....I had a silicone implant made by Mentor.....needless to say, I never went back for nipple reconstruction, the breast lift on the other breast etc....I wish I had never done the reconstruction! So now, 3 years later, I look back and wonder why I went through all of that to look and feel like I do....I felt much better without the reconstruction.....if I do go back for surgery, it will be to get it removed....life was simpler with a prosthesis!...Oh and by the way, I did achieve one benefit from reconstruction, from the way the muscles were shelved and lifted to hold the implant, I can now wink with my left breast.....what a benefit!!!!
__________________
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet
is fighting some kind of battle."



Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Yorkiegirl
Senior Member
 
Yorkiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 823
Stephanie I don't have any experience with this, BUT am glad you posted. As I now 18 months out and I have just now decided to think about implants on both sides. I will go and get a consult, I want implants only and nothing else done since I don't have any help except the dog's. ( hubby oversea's)

I only want to have a B size implant and I hope this can be done. BUT you have made me really think now.
__________________
Vicki
Texas
Biopsy Dx'd 3-23-05 Age 48
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Monica
Senior Member
 
Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 46
You have me worried now. After waiting two years, I just scheduled reconstruction for the end of next month, and I'm an A. My surgeon prides himself on making women's breast symmetrical and the way they looked pre-cancer. I know women who are very happy with his work, but now I'm wondering if that's because they were larger breasted. I always thought smaller breasts would be easier, but that just shows how much I know. I'll have to talk to him about his experience with smaller breasted women.

Monica
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
jener8er
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 94
Hi girls, I think I can comment on this thread! I had my mastectomy, left side, Oct 04 and didn't do any kind of reconstruction at the time - couldn't even think about. I THOUGHT I wouldn't ever bother, but being lop-sided bothered me more than I ever thought it would. After doing TONS of research, I went to UCLA for DIEP this past June. While the op was no picnic, I am SO glad I did it. I feel so much better not having to worry about a prosthesis. I also had a prophylactic mastectomy on my "good" side for peace of mind, symmetry and just cos I was only going to do it once! I go back in November for revisions/nipples and then will just need to get tattoos done. I can honestly say I feel so much better having made the decision and going through with it. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has. It is a tough decision and one that's not right for everyone - YOU have to decide what you can live with. I couldn't live with one breast.
Jen
__________________
Jen
DX 10/04 IDC Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2+++
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
sally
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs New York
Posts: 136
very small implant

I had a lumpectomy and partial mastectomy. I am barely a B cup. I had two surgeries which involved moving my tissure around to form a roundness again and pop the nipple back out. My surgeon said he could but a very small implant in to fill in the dent but I chose not to. One side is smaller than the other but looks o.k. with a bra on. I know a couple of people first hand that said they wished they had never put the implants in. I hope this can be of some help to you. Good luck. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Bev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,055
Anna. John Hopkins has an ask a nurse forum. Diep's seem to be one of their specialties. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter