HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
michele u

want everyone's opinion

I have to give the survivor speech at our local relay for life. i usually do my "forced courage" speech. If anyone does not know this, it is about how our courage has been "forced" on us, we did not pick cancer. I tell how our troops and misionaries and other people that "volunteer" for their courageous acts. This year i want to write a piece on "Mutants". If you are familiar with the Xmen series, the new Xmen 3 is about how the "Mutants" can get a cure by taking a vaccine and they will normal again not mutants anymore. Some wanted it and some said, we are not that "different" from normal humans. Some did not want to give up their "gifts" of being different. Well, this got me thinking about us cancer survivors. We ARE Mutants. We have mutated cells in us, cancer cells. We are normal humans, but instead of our mutated cells giving us great powers like xmen, our muated cells can take our lives. When we are dx with cancer, we get the "mutants" label put on. We are different. We feel different. We love different. We "know" certain things about life and mortality that people that don't have cancer can't understand. If our "mutated" cells would not kill us, would we want to take the "cure" and take away all that we have learned about life? I wouldn't. I want to know what everyone thinks. Do you think that some people would be offended by it? Thanks
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote