HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
cherylynnie

new to site

I am starting Herceptin next week. When I was originally diagnosed in Sept. 05 I was Her2-. But sometime in Nov 05 the FISH test was preformed, my oncologist said the FDA was requiring the FISH test. When I had an apt. with him in Dec 05 he informed me that I was HER2+. I was very confused about how one test could show neg and another positive. I had 4 cycles of A and C, then 4 cylces of Taxotere. I just had my last cycle last week. I am just taking a two week break before I start the Herceptin. I had dense dosing of the A&C, then slowed it down for the Taxotere after recieving the first dose as it made me very sick, I couldn't move 4 days after receiving it. So I received it every week in 1/3 doses. I thought I would have much to celebrate as I finshed the chemo, but with a year of Herceptin in front of me I couldn't get too excited.

I have Stage II breast cancer N-0. I had a skin saving mastectomy with immediate tram flap reconstruction. We knew that I had two tumors one was 2.3 and the other 1.0cm. When the tissue was examined they found a third that was .5cm. The breast surgeon tried to reassure me that I made the right decision going with the mastectomy. I lost about 12lbs. after surgery. Then in January once I started the Taxotere and the increase in steroids I gained it all back plus acouple of other pounds. My hair is starting to grow back now, but my finger nails which started thinning with the Taxotere are starting to fall off. Did anyone else lose their finger nails?

Once I was on the low doses of Taxotere I was able to function more normally. I have two children 11 and 14 and a loving husband of almost 17 years. My children have also been very supportive and loving. My mother came and took care of everything for about 4 months, which was wonderful. She probably stayed too long. But with the lower dose of chemo and the steroids I was able to get back to my normal routine pretty quickly. I just want my life back which I am sure all of you feel the same.

I have to wait for my symmentry surgery until I get some of this weight off. But I am hoping with spring coming and the blooming of the flowers I will be able to get outside and walk it off.

This site is wonderful and I am glad I found it.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote