HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
jessica

Update...got more info...but need your opinions!

Hi Everyone~
So, the plans for what lies ahead is starting to take shape...I have mostly good(ish) news to report. The PET scan came back clean, except for the spot in my breast is now lighting up. Thank God the rest of me is clean! The path from the FNA came back & it's the same as my original dx in 2002:ER-/PR-, Her2+++, so a "familar foe". As I've said before (especially re:losing hair & being bald again) there is some comfort in familarity...
I met w/my breast surgeon & she's pointed out a tiny spot of invasive tumor, but more significantly, more pervasive DCIS thru the breast. Ironically, even though the invasive tumor is tiny, it's the DCIS that will require a mastectomy. She said that all those PET scans may have missed this mass/calcifications, but even if I had had a mammo 6/12 mos earlier, it's still the same disease & would require the same surgical approach.
I was hoping I could just do a lumpectomy & rads first - just to buy a little more time since I'm only 10weeks post liver resection. I just need a little more time to wrap my brain around another surgery & recovery. I anticipated eventually doing the "BIG" surgery in a few months (i can't even bring myself to say "mastectomy", too scary right now). I just thought it would be my decision how soon.
My surgeon is a wonderful, compassionate woman & she said that it was important that I get my head & heart in the right place before going forward w/the BIG one & that she didn't think it was particularly risky to do the lumpectomy first, if that's what I wanted to do. However, she said she didn't think it would be a good idea to do rads, especially if we're going to do the mast/recon, and doing more chemo would be my onc's decision.
So...I'm scheduled for a breast MRI & meeting with a plastic surgeon tomorrow. Everything's in motion, but I need help, wisdom, opinions, guidance, anything!
What should I do about the R breast-even though all signs are clean & healthy-prophylactic mastec, or just augment? Should I do more chemo, even though the invasive tumor is tiny & the PET scan is clean? What was the surgery like?How long was recovery?
UGh! This is more than I can wrap my brain around on my own...I so value your opinions & input. So comforting to know I'm not alone in this...

Keeping the Faith,

Jessica
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote